Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

got in an accident

Old 06-19-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got in an accident

I was sitting at a solid red light just waiting for it to turn green when all of a sudden a mercedes ML 350 slams into my back end. She had to of been going at least 35 mph. Her benz was totaled and not drivable but luckily my stock bumper was dented in and the tire carrier cracked in half..the rim had a couple scrapes but thatll happen with normal wear. All in all it looks like i will be getting money for a new rear bumper

So basically what this thread is made for is for some advice on a cool rear bumper w/ tire carrier..so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

I'm thinkin a really nice rear bumper...... Mercedes, whiplash maybe you could throw in a hemi if you play this right..Glad thats all that happened to you people are just too damn distracted these days!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you got off light on the damage side.

I took off the stock rear bumper when I put my roof rack supports in and was shocked at how light the bumper was. I didn't think it would stand up to any impact above 5 mph.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you had to get rear-ended, at least it was a Benz.

I can only suggest what NOT to get. I've got a Body Armor bumper w/tire carrier, and the quality just isn't there. I'm actually on my second; the carrier hinge started to sag almost immediately on the first one.

If Mercedes lady's paying, you might as well go LoD or, better yet, Off Road Evolution. Their swing-out carrier is a monster.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

hahah ya i was thinking about the whiplash thing
but it was actually a 17 year old girl...she ended up having her dad come to the scene who had a new escalade...who buys a 17 year old a new benz?! hahah she was spoiled so im gonna try and milk this as most as possible
Old 06-19-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check the tailgate didn't get mangled at all. They are weak as it is. Glad to hear all involved are okay. I've had a few of those moments watching my rearview.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you're Okay.. Some guy rear ended me 2 weeks ago and we settled it w/o insurance.. Ended up walking with $700.. I'd like to do the same as you, but my license plate holder dented my rear quarter panel, so that has to be fixed.. Keep us posted on your decision and product research!!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

u really should delete evidence tht ur typing all this a good lawyer will find this and say he planned this its fraud and turn it on u
Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 PM
JK Freak

Crazy, I got rear ened in my JK by some douche in an Infinity SUV trying to run a red and apparently thinking I planned to do the same?... all it did was scratch my rear rim and warp the tailgate a bit... body shop took care of those issues pretty quick. The Infinity that hit my spare tire was totaled!!! It was crazy ! When I saw the condition of his SUV after stepping out I figured my JK was totaled as well. Man was I surprised/ impressed! The great thing about it was there was an on duty traffic Officer parked at the other end of the intersection waiting for his green light He flipped his lights on and pulled right up and said "I saw the whole thing".
Old 06-20-2010, 03:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBroadbent
... it was actually a 17 year old girl...
Though she probably will never admit it, I'll bet she was on her phone. Cell phone use--all cell phone use (yes, even hands-free) needs to be banned.

Anyway, glad you're okay. Yes, check the tailgate. My son backed my Jeep, going very slowly (I was with him), into a pole. It cracked the tire carrier and slightly mangled the sheet metal on the tailgate. Carrying very high deductibles, I never did make a claim, so the dented tailgate is still there. But, it's really not that bad and the damage isn't obvious unless you look for it (especially since I've added a Shrockworks bumper, tire carrier and racks). You can see the damage to the tailgate in the picture (just above and behind the tire carrier).

Quick Reply: got in an accident