Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Goodyear MT/R 285/70/17 Clearance Issue

Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great tip. I added two washers thus far. Still a touch of rub. Does anyone know if like 1/4" wheel spacers would work? Does anyone sell those? I can have them precision made, but would like to know about any safety issues.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got the same shoes, new rims with 4.5bs will take care of everything and rip the air dam off. It just gets in the way.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Nah, Jeep budget is already gone from the rubber :-)
Old 05-28-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostep
Thanks for the great tip. I added two washers thus far. Still a touch of rub. Does anyone know if like 1/4" wheel spacers would work? Does anyone sell those? I can have them precision made, but would like to know about any safety issues.

Thanks.
I would not go with shim-type spacers. They are not hub-centric, which means that the studs will bear all dynamic loads. Moreover, you have reduced the engagement length of the lug nuts.

Since I don't know how much you have shimmed the steering stops, I can't accurately comment on whether you've shimmed them enough. I can't imagine that 3/8" (.375") washers aren't enough for 285/70-17s.

If nothing else, avoid using full lock while you save for a set of 1.5" spacers. Then, you can remove the steering stop shims and restore your turning circle.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another vote for Spider Trax spacers. Totally eliminated rub and I think the stance looks a lot better with the tires pushed out a bit.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Widewing
Shim your steering stops per the instructions here: steer-stop-adjustment, or buy and install spacers (around $200 for all four corners). Make sure you use the threadlocker compound and a torque wrench.
I have the identical tires on my 2007 Rubi, and was having the same rubbing issue. The washer behind the steering stops worked for me. No rubbing whatsoever now. Thanks for the tip. It took all of 5 minutes and saved me $200.

I had already picked up some spidertrax spacers. I took them back today, and explained I didn't need them and they took them back, cheerfully. I would deal with Spidertrax again anytime. I was impressed with their service. They really are set up for mail order, but when I stopped by the sales guy dropped what he was doing and went and found me the spacers I needed. He even found me some blems (cosmetic only) and sold them to me for $20 cheaper per pair. After seeing their shop and the way they treat their customers, I am a fan.

Last edited by rubic0n; 06-03-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Goodyear MT/R 285/70/17 Clearance Issue