Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Is this a good weld? Pic included

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2
here is what finished eletrical metal glueing should look like when it is done by human hands
Sweet - that's some quality fabrication
Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GCM 2
here is what finished eletrical metal glueing should look like when it is done by human hands

Is there some significant throat variation? (I had to find something!) Just kidding, looks great, evidence of a skilled welder.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

My dad was a welder by trade and taught me to weld with stick as well. If I ever saw the OP picture on my vehicle I would be a little upset. It looks like a high school student just learning did it...

Last edited by rokklymer; 07-15-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jhol111964
Is there some significant throat variation? (I had to find something!) Just kidding, looks great, evidence of a skilled welder.
Haha!! Yep, those are welds coming out of Offroad Evolution's shop. Those bubbas are artists when it comes to welding. I actually wished I could have had all my welds that they did, clear coated so I could just stare at them when I am under the rig checking on bolts for torque.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Welder by trade here, I do my own. Something I learned is keep your metal clean!!!
The original pic in this thread looks like crap, I don't see how it stayed together. I gas weld, stick, TIG, MIG, etc. Now I operate in a plant, burnt my eyes to much... Those EVO guys know how to do it and do it well. Get a reputable shop to get it done.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Thats what my welds look like. I bought a cheap 90 dollar mig welder at Harbor Freight and when i weld it looks just like that most of the time. Thats why i do not weld on MY jeep or ANY ones else. I use it to make targets to shoot at and it works fine for that. So i would say that weld is just horrible, and being done at a shop makes it even worse. Go get your money back!!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I looked up ugly in the dictionary. Had a picture of your weld next to it....
Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Super Freak

You should go back and see if they have someone their that can redo it properly. If they can't re-do it properly tell them you want some compensation for having to pay to get it cleaned up and redone. Don't get screwed, but they probably wont go down without a fight. If you have to threaten them with the BBB.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FrankTheTank
Was it done at a welding school for the legally blind?
Pahahaha!!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, that shop just lost a customer with two thumbs...ME!

I think refusing to go there ever again is worse for them as they have lost any business I would have brought them with my own vehs and any other people I would have sent over there. They can keep the $40 as a F-U very much.

So I'm gonna try and get down to a offroad veh fabricator (about 60 miles away) and switch back to my stock pitman and maybe something like a JKS adj trackbar and get the bracket cutoff back down to stock.

I think most shops are only good for oil changes and regular rob you blind maintenance prodecures. Anything more complicated than that...just forget it.

The fabricator I want to go to is part time so hope to get in there. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: Is this a good weld? Pic included