Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Is this a good weld? Pic included

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That might possibly be the worst weld I've ever seen. looks like it was done drunk and blindfolded.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

Yikes....that is ugly.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
no no no , don't ever let that man weld again good welder can repair it but it will take some work if it was done right the first time would of been nothing to weld and fit up
Listen to him ^^^^ He is a hell of a welder I dont have much knowledge in welding, but that looks like $hit! It looks like the welder guy was blind folded, and drunk, with a blind person telling him, your getting warmer, warmer, warmer, ok weld now!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Holy crap. No welding experience needed to notice that's a crap joke of a weld. Get your $ back!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those bubbly formations are actually very brittle. I took a close look at it late last night....and sharp, cut my index finger on one of the "bubbles" as it crumbled away. Never again will I go to that shop for anything. Terrible. If you notice a 10mm bolt is missing as well.

There is a Jeeps for competition fabricator about 1.5 hours away from my house. I could go there just would have to plan out the logistics. Or I could "roll the dice!!" with someone else.

I was thinking of grinding away the lumpy formations myself and see what's underneath. I'm speculating the guy didn't even prep the surface and just hit it with the tip, powdercoat bubbled and melted underneath forming the gas bubbles you see...kinda like cooled lava.

I can solder electrical components so I'm trying to apply my knowledge there but I know nothing about how to weld.

Trying not to spend $100s of more dollars. Current TB is fine. Repairing weld may be cheaper. But opportunity now exists to strengthen the whole thing with a new TB, frame mount, etc..........
Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout
That might possibly be the worst weld I've ever seen. looks like it was done drunk and blindfolded.
I've seen worse...but you won't cuz I threw it away and didn't document with photos

Okay it was the first day I picked up a stick and was on scrap steel.

A lot of individuals think that welding is easy -
anyone who saw Flem hired on "Sons of Guns" saw how the phrase "I can Tig weld" can get you in trouble.

It's a skill like all others, the good ones make it look easy...and i don't count myself as one of the good ones. If I look at my welds (decent) next to the Bro-in-law (professional with 30 years experiance) I cringe.

Last edited by Notakar; 07-15-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

NO! My High School metel shop teacher would flunk this so-called welder!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Being that is your Front Trac bar bracket I'd be afraid to drive it like that. It might be perfectly safe and secure but definately looks like it isn't. Take to a experienced professional and have it done correctly but unfortunately a job that would of been easy for a competant welder has now been made more complicated.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look up a weld supply shop and tell them you need a welder. Or any machine shop will also have a welder.

All that crap is likely from not cleaning the joint. Welding is to join two or more pieces of clean metal. It should have nothing to do with paint or surface oxidation.

If they can get a TIG whip in there tell them you want it TIG'd...you will like the result.

Not to be mean, BUT, it looks like they gave you a let me close my eyes and spark this mo-fo job with a MIG
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Good example

here is what finished eletrical metal glueing should look like when it is done by human hands

Last edited by GCM 2; 07-15-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this a good weld? Pic included