Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Getting ready to do the Hemi

Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
Well...the engine is now in, and we are just tying up loose ends. Should have it running by mid-week.

I need HELP finding one part. There is a small wiring harness that I believe is factory to the 5.7L motor. This harness connects the AEV harness to the MDS solenoids. Should have a total of 5 connectors on it (1 plugs into the gray terminal on the AEV harness, and the other 4 plug into each of the remote MDS terminals)

AEV?
Screamin Lizard?
Anyone?

Jeep/Mopar does not show this as a stand alone part, and I am certainly not going to purchase an entire harness for a 5.7L. I will try the local scrap yards, but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Also, do any of the sponsors or experts know if I can just bypass this and pull the intake manifold to install later once I find the harness?

Thanks!!!!!!

Are you sure that your program is setup for the MDS? I don't know if AEV or Hotwire have been setup to use the MDS??? I removed my MDS because the JK PCM program does not use it yet. It is coming out but I don't think it works yet.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ben Hedrick
Are you sure that your program is setup for the MDS? I don't know if AEV or Hotwire have been setup to use the MDS??? I removed my MDS because the JK PCM program does not use it yet. It is coming out but I don't think it works yet.
Ben,

I'm just going off of what the wiring directions say. In the 6.1l application, they have you tie this harness off without using it, but the directions allude to plugging it into the 5.7l application. I'll have to check with Dave at AEV unless anyone else knows for sure?
Old 04-26-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ben,

I'm just going off of what the wiring directions say. In the 6.1l application, they have you tie this harness off without using it, but the directions allude to plugging it into the 5.7l application. I'll have to check with Dave at AEV unless anyone else knows for sure?
Yes I would then check with Dave. I think it works without it but let me know what Dave says.

Ben
Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

in theory the MDS does work but we have never done a 5.7L automatic to prove it only 6.1l and 5.7l manuals.

I say plug it in no harm done.

Gerry
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

Take a look at some of the various Hemi forums out there and look at how many people begged for ways to disable the MDS. It sounds like crap, doesn't add all that much fuel efficiency as your still spinning everything and to get it to turn off without a programmer people turn on and off their tow/haul setting.

So if the MDS doesn't work count your blessings.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
MDS? man, their is no programming for MDS buddy. Hopefully the computer will just run it as a 5.7, other wise U R .................

Not only did AEV confirm today that the MDS is not functional, but it seems the general consensus is that I do not want this. I am fine with this as this engine conversion had little to do with gas mileage, and much more to do with climbing the mountain passes of Colorado.

I am waiting on one part due in Thursday, and after that is installed, the entire conversion can be completed in about 90 minutes. Getting very very close. Can't wait!!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

The Hemi is a swap that gets what you get lots of horsepowerfor the road.

Gerry
Old 05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Hemi is in and fully operational. I must say, this is pretty amazing. I wouldn't say the jeep is "fast", but it is very powerful and pulls hard all the way through the RPM band. The difference between stock is unbelievable, and it is also much stronger than the RIPP supercharger I had.

Also, the most impressive thing to me is that everything works as if it came from Chrysler this way. There isn't a single feature (i.e. cruise control), that conflicts with the system. My hats off to AEV for a very well thought out kit.

The 5.7L I used was out of a Grand C. and we fully re-built it because it was hydro-locked. The block, cylinder heads, and cam were all re-tooled, and all of the other parts were new. Because of this, the engine is still tight, and I am even more excited to see how it runs after the break-in period.

Soooo....my only complaint (I am going to sound like a little old grandma now) is that the exhaust is a bit loud for me. It sounds pretty awesome and rumbles, but after being in the Jeep for a bit of time, it starts to wear on me. Does anyone have any recommendations on a muffler or a muffler/resonator combo that would tone this down? I don't necessarily want to make it completely quiet, but just less obnoxious.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:58 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Soooo....my only complaint (I am going to sound like a little old grandma now) is that the exhaust is a bit loud for me. It sounds pretty awesome and rumbles, but after being in the Jeep for a bit of time, it starts to wear on me. Does anyone have any recommendations on a muffler or a muffler/resonator combo that would tone this down? I don't necessarily want to make it completely quiet, but just less obnoxious.
Congrats on the hemi swap The tone of the exhaust will mellow out after a little while. I was going to go with a different muffler right away also but its kind of grown on me now. It sounds like its got some muscle now and also keeps me from getting my foot into in too much around town. It does turn heads when you stomp on it though and that can be a bad thing if its LEO that you did not see sitting there. .
Old 05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Hey Steve

Thank you for letting my Drive your Jeep

I love what it sounds like and how it pulls

Very jealous

*Read This Chrysler*
It should have came out that way from the factory

Did you try a local muffler shop?

i'm sure they can make something for you.. the way you want it

Quick Reply: Getting ready to do the Hemi