Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Getting ready to do the Hemi

Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to do the Hemi

A few questions for those that know

1) Has anyone done the transcooler as part of the install that is included in the AEV premium kit?

2) 5.7L or 6.1L? I know the obvious would appear to be to go bigger, but I am concerned with some of the posts regarding the computer not being matched perfectly to the 6.1L and many have mentioned the "pause" in the engine upon slight acceleration. The 5.7L guys don't seem to mention this at all? I can't imagine needing more than the 5.7L? For those that have it, do you wish you had more HP/torque?

3) Any regrets at all in doing the conversion?

Last edited by FJ80fornow; 04-01-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

the 6.1 is a great add and the 5.7 is also a great add.

Hessitaion is in the trany cal and with the 5.7 you still get some.
the drive by wire ans such do the most, so the 6.1l or 5.7 is all good let me know what you want. I can help

gerry
Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
A few questions for those that know

1) Has anyone done the transcooler as part of the install that is included in the AEV premium kit?

2) 5.7L or 6.1L? I know the obvious would appear to be to go bigger, but I am concerned with some of the posts regarding the computer not being matched perfectly to the 6.1L and many have mentioned the "pause" in the engine upon slight acceleration. The 5.7L guys don't seem to mention this at all? I can't imagine needing more than the 5.7L? For those that have it, do you wish you had more HP/torque?

3) Any regrets at all in doing the conversion?

1. yes, have not had any trans temp problems that I have detected.

2. 5.7 and very happy with the power and mileage.

3. Only regret was not being able to do it sooner.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't have the AEV kit, but I do have a transmission cooler. Mine runs real cool. I put the Aeroforce on because I was a little worried about it but so far the only Temp that has me worried is the engine itself. Mine stays at 205. But I've been told this is normal. Still has me worried though.

I have a 5.7 and am more then happy with it. I can pull start a GMC truck through the mud so I don't think I need any more. On the street and highway it's a dream to drive. Still baffles me why they would not offer this engine.

My only regret is not having enough cash on hand to get a new front axle. I have a 30 and when wheeling I just know if I hit it somethings going to break.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker

That's freak'n sweet.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

My 5.7 is on order now :-) Plans are to have it installed after Easter Jeep Safari.

Some points that I considered when going with the 5.7 as I initially was going to go for the 6.1.
  • I like the fact I can run the 5.7 on 87 octane and not have to use 91 octane.
  • The 5.7 has MDS and the 6.1 does not (at least yet) and better gas mileage is a plus for me cause i use my jeep for a daily driver too...
  • The 5.7 pulls pretty hard... The 6.1 will pull ever harder, but I didn't think the difference outwayed the initial and ongoing (higher gas) costs
  • Most of the kits use 5.7 exhaust manifolds so I thought the 425hp would be hard to obtain (especially if the programming for the 6.1 isnt optimal)
IMHO the best would be to use a 2009 5.7 Truck Motor as 390hp and MDS would be
Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am getting ready to tackle this myself, and have found a 5.7L that is going to be built the way I want it. I bought a tranny today, and am ordering the AEV kit tomorrow. I know some guys that work for Jeep that are excited to help out.

Can't wait....just nervous to do the build in my garage as I have never replaced an engine before. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have done all of the other work for the Jeep myself...Super Charger, Lifts, Electronics welding etc. I hope it all works out?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Woody99
The 5.7 has MDS and the 6.1 does not (at least yet) and better gas mileage is a plus for me cause i use my jeep for a daily driver too...
The MDS doesn't currently work on the 5.7 in this application. I heard they were close to having the EGR and MDS working.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
Thanks for all of the feedback. I am getting ready to tackle this myself, and have found a 5.7L that is going to be built the way I want it. I bought a tranny today, and am ordering the AEV kit tomorrow. I know some guys that work for Jeep that are excited to help out.

Can't wait....just nervous to do the build in my garage as I have never replaced an engine before. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have done all of the other work for the Jeep myself...Super Charger, Lifts, Electronics welding etc. I hope it all works out?
You'll love it...and no worries on it being too difficult. From what you have already done you're in good hands.
One pointer if you don't lift the body off; don't bolt the rubber motor mounts on the block until after it's in the engine bay. But then be prepared for a couple hours of cursing trying to bolt them back onto the block...its very tight - especially if you have big hands!
Between Gerry at SLC and Dave at AEV you'll have all the online support you could ask for. But having said that, drop me a line if I can help.
Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by calypson; 04-02-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calypson
You'll love it...and no worries on it being too difficult. From what you have already done you're in good hands.
One pointer if you don't lift the body off; don't bolt the rubber motor mounts on the block until after it's in the engine bay. But then be prepared for a couple hours of cursing trying to bolt them back onto the block...its very tight - especially if you have big hands!
Between Gerry at SLC and Dave at AEV you'll have all the online support you could ask for. But having said that, drop me a line if I can help.
Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the tip....I just printed it out for my "file". I really do appreciate the level of support this forum offers.....everyone is very helpful.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to do the Hemi