Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Game: What did I break and how bad is it?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Game: What did I break and how bad is it?

Hey guys, I'll paraphrase the series of events that led to this:

On my way to work this morning I hit a dip in the road while turning left fairly hard (but no harder then I've done several times in the past) to make it through a yellow light. I immediately noticed my steering wheel was 35 degrees off center from the bounce.

When I got home from work today I re-centered my steering wheel, and drove 4 miles to the grocery store. While on the road I noticed the steering was still a bit off, in the other direction. While my wife was in the store I adjusted the track bar a bit more to compensate. When we left the store I went to make a hard right and noticed my wheel was barely turning.

I got out and looked and saw that my steering stabilizer was hitting the track bar/tie rod bracket. I drove home carefully and took another look and saw what had happened in the pic.

Advice?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

looks like that bracket that holds the whole shaaabam together broke a weld and bent down somewhat causing the top to spring up, im guessing a ugly guy with a welding rod could fix it , and bring a big hammer or something to pry that bracket back into shape on the axle tube
Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by possumface
looks like that bracket that holds the whole shaaabam together broke a weld and bent down somewhat causing the top to spring up, im guessing a ugly guy with a welding rod could fix it , and bring a big hammer or something to pry that bracket back into shape on the axle tube
Hrm...well there is a few guys in my club who can weld really well. My only concern is the possibility that there are other components that got F'ed up. For example, even though their only 40-50 bucks I already know I'm going to need a new steering stabilizer, I bled out a hell of a lot of the fluid in it when I made the tight right turn.

I'm debating whether or not to take it to the dealer, as all of it should be under warranty and I wouldn't have to pay for any additional parts.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Take it to your dealer
Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RuBob
dealer may say that the aftermarket trackbar bracket you installed caused additional stress, hence the breakage. if they do fix it (new axle tube or weld just the break), you will probably have the same thing happen again. you should have that thing welded with a lot of reinforcements. another option would be to have it fixed then loose the aftermarket bracket and get an adjustable trackbar.
The dealer installed the whole lift, so it's under warranty. I'm thinking let them pay for it more and more.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

That is not something that should brake and on road driving as well. I also agree that it should go to the dealer.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Update:

Well, I tried to drive it to the dealer and 1/4 mile from my house at 30 MPH the bracket completely breaks off and I finally got to experience death wobble (yay!). Anyway I had it towed to the dealership.

They try telling me it won't be covered under warranty because I installed a lift, to which I replied to them that they will be covering it under warranty because when I bought the Jeep they told me that all the aftermarket dealer add-ons are covered under 3yr/36k. Apparently the service department wasn't even aware that the salesmen were putting lifts on their Jeeps and selling them with warranty's.

They quoted me 1800, so I figure they are going to replace the entire axle assembly. If and when they do this does anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent it from happening again?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Update:.....If and when they do this does anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent it from happening again?
You could either weld on reinforcement gussets to the track bar bracket, purchase a better designed track bar bracket..(see post below I found from an old thread) & lastly, you could just purchase an adjustable front track bar (& do away with the aftermarket track bar relocation bracket)...

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i haven't installed or seen a bds bracket up close but i can tell you that the currie rock jock setup, is as beefy as can be. here's a couple of shots of what it looks like installed....

Originally Posted by Mowabb
Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aldaman
You could either weld on reinforcement gussets to the track bar bracket, purchase a better designed track bar bracket..(see post below I found from an old thread) & lastly, you could just purchase an adjustable front track bar (& do away with the aftermarket track bar relocation bracket)...
Thank you, that was incredibly helpful

I know it is ultimately up to me, but what would you do in my situation? Would the adjustable track bar be the quickest/easiest and most cost effective solution?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DeepSky
.................................................. ................................
Would the adjustable track bar be the quickest/easiest and most cost effective solution?
IMO, I would opt for the adjustable track bar....Less add-ons/modification to the existing factory track bar mount . It's lot beefier than the stock track bar & if you ever decide to go for a higher lift you wouldnt have to upgrade the adjustable trackbar

Quick Reply: Game: What did I break and how bad is it?