Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Funny thing...I guess?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmmmm metal....sorry for you loss.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

So does anyone have any idea what could be causing all the vibrations? I just dropped it off at 4wheelparts. At about 50+ it just gets rediculous
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you got it 4wheel supply they should be able to hook you up....were is the vibe in the rear....or in the steering wheel....is there a roar or howl associated with vibe.....other than the gears what was the last mod......please dont say free grab handles......
Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blkpearl
if you got it 4wheel supply they should be able to hook you up....were is the vibe in the rear....or in the steering wheel....is there a roar or howl associated with vibe.....other than the gears what was the last mod......please dont say free grab handles......
There is a weird roar coming from the rear along with the vibrations, yes. And its a little in the steering wheel also, but it may just be my busted steering stabilizer :/

Anyway so yeah. took it in today just to get them to chck the codes and fix whatever the problem was. We checked them ourselves before taking it in, and also told them about my leaky top.

So they just called and left a msg back with me, and guess what? Even though i have a warranty still, they are telling me that i owe 90 dollars because the codes are only getting thrown because of my tires/lights. So they wont cover it. Then they say if it is idling funny, or lack of power, it is only because of my oversized tires and "stock gears". I didnt know JKs came with 5.13's but anyway thats what they are saying.

Basically they say i owe them 90 bucks and they did nothing except blame my "oversized tires".

And now my engine is doing this wierd bogging thing when i am just idling. Like if i crank it up and let it sit. When i let it set for a few mins its starts dropping below .5 RPM and then shoots back up. Like it starts to bog out and then catches itself. And its VERY noticeable.

so now i have a list of problems...no fix, and i owe 90 bucks... what should i do? :P
Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I had my dodge ram I had the same vibration problem. It was unbearable after like 40mph. After several trips to the dealer. It turns out the rear drive shaft(it was a 4x4) was bent and the yoke(not sure if this is the right term) on the axle side was bent. When they put a good drive shaft on it the vibe got real bad. I couldn't go past 30mph. They ended up re-building the axle, gears, yoke and all. That finally fixed it.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ogre45
When I had my dodge ram I had the same vibration problem. It was unbearable after like 40mph. After several trips to the dealer. It turns out the rear drive shaft(it was a 4x4) was bent and the yoke(not sure if this is the right term) on the axle side was bent. When they put a good drive shaft on it the vibe got real bad. I couldn't go past 30mph. They ended up re-building the axle, gears, yoke and all. That finally fixed it.
THATS EXACTLY what my problem is! about 35-40 it just gets ridiculous. The thing is i already swapped out my drive shaft to a new one and it didnt help at all...what should be my next step? :P The dealer here wont even that i have a problem so its hard to get em to fix anything....
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by P Nasty
There is a weird roar coming from the rear along with the vibrations, yes. And its a little in the steering wheel also, but it may just be my busted steering stabilizer :/

Anyway so yeah. took it in today just to get them to chck the codes and fix whatever the problem was. We checked them ourselves before taking it in, and also told them about my leaky top.

So they just called and left a msg back with me, and guess what? Even though i have a warranty still, they are telling me that i owe 90 dollars because the codes are only getting thrown because of my tires/lights. So they wont cover it. Then they say if it is idling funny, or lack of power, it is only because of my oversized tires and "stock gears". I didnt know JKs came with 5.13's but anyway thats what they are saying.

Basically they say i owe them 90 bucks and they did nothing except blame my "oversized tires".

And now my engine is doing this wierd bogging thing when i am just idling. Like if i crank it up and let it sit. When i let it set for a few mins its starts dropping below .5 RPM and then shoots back up. Like it starts to bog out and then catches itself. And its VERY noticeable.

so now i have a list of problems...no fix, and i owe 90 bucks... what should i do? :P
so they are blaming the idle on the gears and tires.......i have to throw the bs flag....so i take it you took it to the dealer...if they are giving you grief about tires etc....idk....some dealers will look at it weather its lifted or not....then if there is damaged caused by lift and big tires they will tell you they will not cover...

if you go to autozone they can plug a hand held into to scan port....it will give you the main codes.....it will not be as specific as the dealership.....but may give you an idea...if torqe sensor or something else.....try to reset the computer, and see if it helps....the jeep may be in a limp mode, to bypass some sensors beacause of past issues........our jeeps are sometimes way to smart for our own good....

the vibrations are little different....check the rear diff to make sure the gear are ok.....grab the rear drive shaft and try to move up and down to see if there is any play in the pinion area, u-joint, and cv area.....you also may get you dad to lay beside the jeep and you get in ride the brakes or wheel chalk the front tires to apply torque to drive shaft and look for excessive movement in the axle (pinion shifting, axle housing rotating excessivly....because of loose bolt or bad bushings).......do you have adjustable control arms and what it the pinion angle in relation to drive shaft.....

has you dad taken the diff covers off yet and check you gears yet?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blkpearl
so they are blaming the idle on the gears and tires.......i have to throw the bs flag....so i take it you took it to the dealer...if they are giving you grief about tires etc....idk....some dealers will look at it weather its lifted or not....then if there is damaged caused by lift and big tires they will tell you they will not cover...

if you go to autozone they can plug a hand held into to scan port....it will give you the main codes.....it will not be as specific as the dealership.....but may give you an idea...if torqe sensor or something else.....try to reset the computer, and see if it helps....the jeep may be in a limp mode, to bypass some sensors beacause of past issues........our jeeps are sometimes way to smart for our own good....

the vibrations are little different....check the rear diff to make sure the gear are ok.....grab the rear drive shaft and try to move up and down to see if there is any play in the pinion area, u-joint, and cv area.....you also may get you dad to lay beside the jeep and you get in ride the brakes or wheel chalk the front tires to apply torque to drive shaft and look for excessive movement in the axle (pinion shifting, axle housing rotating excessivly....because of loose bolt or bad bushings).......do you have adjustable control arms and what it the pinion angle in relation to drive shaft.....

has you dad taken the diff covers off yet and check you gears yet?
yeah we already cleared the codes and they came back. He said one of them was a gas mixture code or something. He said it may be mixing to much fuel or running to lean or something. Like i said i put in a entire new drive shaft and snugged it down. so theres no way its the drive shaft i wouldnt think. We were suppose to pick up my jeep and check the diff tonight, but the closed so now i have to wait till tomorrow morning to get my jeep back :( Those fags, i hate letting anyone else touch my jeep. and now its gonna be sitting out on their lot :(

I was just discussing the possibility of it being because of the angle of the drive shaft with my mom. I was telling her that most people wit 5+ inches of lift usually get new joints/drive shafts as well as new trac bars control arms etc. I on the other hand did not. I am still using my stock trac bar/drive shafts etc. I dont know if that could be the problem, but i would imagine it could be part of it. I mean i have had the lift for quite some time, and never have i had problems until just now. But thats the only thing i can think could be possible? its not like i took it out wheeling hard or anything... and its garage kept....
Old 12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the vibration is aft of the drive shaft. Just like mine was. You may have torqued everything when you spat the gears. All the momentum had to go somewhere. In this case it was the rear axle and gears. Like mine you may have to at minimum replace the yoke and pinion gear. They totaly rebuilt everything in the housing on my dodge.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ogre45
I think the vibration is aft of the drive shaft. Just like mine was. You may have torqued everything when you spat the gears. All the momentum had to go somewhere. In this case it was the rear axle and gears. Like mine you may have to at minimum replace the yoke and pinion gear. They totaly rebuilt everything in the housing on my dodge.
well that seemed to have worked out in your favor =D

I told my step dad what you had said, he seems to think he has it all figured out. But when asked what the problem is he has no answer... so i guess we will find out...:P

Quick Reply: Funny thing...I guess?