Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Funny thing...I guess?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkpearl
sorry to hear about your luck....did you install the gears? did you get a good break in done before doing in wheeling, and or any hard 4wd pulls on fresh gears?

in my old tj i had a front stub shaft on the passanger side break and bind up enough at 40mph, that it almost rolled me over when the tire locked up.....no damage to diff...i might have been lucky.....i didn't see a locker installed, and a open diff is generally pretty forgiving.........if it trashed the diff like that i am surprised it didnt break that dana 30s axle shaft first....but hey anything is possible......
i have no idea what really happened. but just judging by what i can see, thats what i thought happened. But after i repaired the break and all i drove 5-10 miles back home with it making all that crazy noise so im sure that couldnt have helped anything at all...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by P Nasty
i have no idea what really happened. but just judging by what i can see, thats what i thought happened. But after i repaired the break and all i drove 5-10 miles back home with it making all that crazy noise so im sure that couldnt have helped anything at all...
thats, cool....at least you were not to far from home....and you got back safe.....and after all parts can always be replaced.....good luck and keep us posted....

Last edited by blkpearl; 11-26-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

F*^k, man I be so pissed...... Who did the work for you, or did you do it yourself? Seriously, I'd shoot someone!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sheesh! Good to hear you are safe and sound. Jeep things can be fixed or replaced. as Toad says everyday "It's always an adventure."
Old 12-08-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Default New Problem

Ok so... WE replaced everything except the Steering Stab. Which has to be ordered.

So everything should have been 100% fixed. Only this morning on the way to school i noticed the jeep started making a really strange vibration/hesitation past 35-40 mph. Its almost as if it does not wanna go any faster and theres a crazy vibration running through the jeep.

So now we lifted it up and tried to spin the tires just to see what we could find. There is a clicking noise coming from the diff./Shaft. So tomorrow my step dad wants to replace the Rear drive shaft. He says that it is spyder bearings he thinks, but if im going in a strait line, they shouldn't do anything or make any noise vibration i would think...

So thats what were gonna do tomorrow. But does anyone have any idea of what may be going on? The check engine light has been on since the original issue, and now im just starting to get extremely frustrated. I dont want to continue driving it if im going to create more problems, but my step dad seems to think nothing is gonna happen, and basically just kinda trying to make it seem like its not that big of a deal...

Should i be worried?

Thanks guys

Zack
Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default What diff covers are those?

Wow what a positive outlook! I'd be pissed. Good thing it is getting taken care of.

What diff covers are those? They are sick!!!

Where'd ya get them? How much?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Just Empty Every Pocket
Wow what a positive outlook! I'd be pissed. Good thing it is getting taken care of.

What diff covers are those? They are sick!!!

Where'd ya get them? How much?
They are riddlers. I paid i wanna say like 150 for both?
Got them from 4wheelparts.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

They are riddlers. I paid i wanna say like 150 for both?
Got them from 4wheelparts.
I didn't see them on 4wheelparts...

Did you polish them? or did they come like that?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so... WE replaced everything except the Steering Stab. Which has to be ordered.

So everything should have been 100% fixed. Only this morning on the way to school i noticed the jeep started making a really strange vibration/hesitation past 35-40 mph. Its almost as if it does not wanna go any faster and theres a crazy vibration running through the jeep.

So now we lifted it up and tried to spin the tires just to see what we could find. There is a clicking noise coming from the diff./Shaft. So tomorrow my step dad wants to replace the Rear drive shaft. He says that it is spyder bearings he thinks, but if im going in a strait line, they shouldn't do anything or make any noise vibration i would think...

So thats what were gonna do tomorrow. But does anyone have any idea of what may be going on? The check engine light has been on since the original issue, and now im just starting to get extremely frustrated. I dont want to continue driving it if im going to create more problems, but my step dad seems to think nothing is gonna happen, and basically just kinda trying to make it seem like its not that big of a deal...

Should i be worried?

Thanks guys

Zack
hey zack,

is the rear the issue this time??? or is it the front??? when you pull the diff cover on either front or rear inspect look for metal etc.....the front will have the spyder gears, and is likely what your dad is talking about....or your rear lsd if messed up....i would pull the covers and check them both for wear on your new ring gears......the fronts were the orginal posted failure....just check the back to and recheck the front.....

if the rear looks good not strange wear on the gears etc......you can open the front diff pull the axles, and pull the carrier and remove the font drive shaft....bolt the bearing and the rest of the stopping assembly put tires on go for a test drive to see if it goes away......also do you have the factory front gears compare the teeth of pinion and ringgear to see if you may have installed a standard rotation dana 30 gear set...due to mis boxing of part or ordering wrong part number...instead of a high pinion gearset, which should be a reverse rotation.....

keep us posted on your progress.......and congrats on winning the grab handles.....

Last edited by blkpearl; 12-08-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Just Empty Every Pocket
I didn't see them on 4wheelparts...

Did you polish them? or did they come like that?
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=41123

4wheelparts owns 4wd. But no they come like almost bear metal looking. So i had it powder coated the chrome look, and then taped and sprayed the logo flat black.

Originally Posted by blkpearl
hey zack,

is the rear the issue this time??? or is it the front??? when you pull the diff cover on either front or rear inspect look for metal etc.....the front will have the spyder gears, and is likely what your dad is talking about....or your rear lsd if messed up....i would pull the covers and check them both for wear on your new ring gears......the fronts were the orginal posted failure....just check the back to and recheck the front.....

if the rear looks good not strange wear on the gears etc......you can open the front diff pull the axles, and pull the carrier and remove the font drive shaft....bolt the bearing and the rest of the stopping assembly put tires on go for a test drive to see if it goes away......also do you have the factory front gears compare the teeth of pinion and ringgear to see if you may have installed a standard rotation dana 30 gear set...due to mis boxing of part or ordering wrong part number...instead of a high pinion gearset, which should be a reverse rotation.....

keep us posted on your progress.......and congrats on winning the grab handles.....

ok. Hes planning on taking it apart tomorrow and going through it all, i just wanna make sure its gonna be safe to take to school. I have an extra drive shaft so were gonna swap it out and see if that takes away from the vibes. But The spider gears is what he was saying he thinks the problem is. I dunno, all this is new to me still so im trying to learn it all as i got. but its hard not to be wanting to flip at this point. i want my jeep back to normal Do you think it will be safe for tomorrow though?

Thanks for the response man!

Zack!!

Quick Reply: Funny thing...I guess?