Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Funny thing...I guess?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny thing...I guess?

So it started like this. Last friday i was living a dream. My 5.13 superior gears were going in. My freshly painted riddler diff covers were going on, and a new sand/paint job on my steering stab. Oh what a day. Even gave my axles some new paint =D

So THAT was friday. After that my jeep sat until today on my way home from school...

So im driving along with my happy face on...little jingle in my head...doo da doo dah, and then BAM....Cludd snap crackle pop.... My jeep just like clunks its way to a complete stop from 35mph. Turns out my brake fell off and locked up my axle, stripping my BRAND NEW front 5.13 superior gears and busting my steering stabilizer. So this is what my front axle is looking like about now....

So yeah my day kinda went like that...i guess its funny. 1 screw destroyed all that. Im pretty mad. The good thing is it shouldnt be that big a deal to get fixed. replaced, assuming this is all the damage. I guess we will see
Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man - That is some chewed up metal - Sorry for your loss...
Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

yeah but I don't think it's that funny...

Kinda sucks man, sorry to hear.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

glad you have a glass is half full attitude, I would have blurted out every 4 letter word known to man and then some and would still be doing it.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Wouldn't the magnet on the differential screw cap pick up and hold on to the loose screw? That was one seriously hard screw. I would have thought the gears would destroy the screw. Not the other way around! Wow!

Good luck with that. Sorry to see that happen.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scouter4life
glad you have a glass is half full attitude, I would have blurted out every 4 letter word known to man and then some and would still be doing it.
Same here. Nice that you took it that way. I would have been so pissed....well it wouldn't have been good.

Sorry to hear that though
Old 11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the whole brake fell off?!?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

I would be pissed!!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Ok so just got word from my step dad. The gears will be warranty', and i needed to upgrade to a fox Steering stab anyway so im only gonna pay the difference for the new shock. So the only thing i need to pay for is the 29 dollars or whatever it is for new pads. For now at least. Who knows what else is messed up. i hope nothing else.

But as far as the screw, it sounds like a couple of you miss understood me. There was not a screw inside the diff. A screw fell out of my brake, the one that was bolting it on, therefore the break fell back and ended up locking up that side of the jeep. Im guessing just from it locking up like that is what destroyed the gears? Not sure what happened exactly, but the diff was installed correctly it was just kinda a chain reaction that destroyed it. The thing is, i was not in 4wheeldrive so i dont understand how it had anything to do with the front diff, but im new to the hobby still so im sure there is an explanation. From what we have come to agree on is that the break falling off just kinda sprouted into ownage of my whole front end.

But thats where im standing now, just thought id update. I hope nothing else is broken that im unaware of. But hey at least i get a new fox steering stabilizer, since i wasted all last weekend installing gears
Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm real sorry that happened to you, and I REALLY hope that it gets fixed. But I have to say this....I just love carnage pics like that.

Quick Reply: Funny thing...I guess?