Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Front stubby bumper w/ winch build

Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiJK
... Also, put some thought into Linex or another bedliner material, but I dont know too much about them. Anybody know how they hold up, and how easily they can be touched up when dinged on the trail?
I haven't tried it on a bumper, but I do have it in my F150... and it holds up great. Its very difficult to scratch, though, its got a lifetime warranty. Take it back to the Line-X installer, and they'll touch it up free. When they touch it up, it blends right in, difficult to notice.

Its a bit more expensive than roll-on, or at home spray ons... I believe its applied hot (though I don't know for sure). More expensive, but holds up really well.

I'm not a fan of roll-on stuff (tried it once, its a mess and it peeled on me after a few months.)

Haven't tried the at home spray on (duplicolor) stuff yet... maybe soon though.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

That is absolutely nice. Any thoughts on the weight of the bumper, with and without the winch? Gotta' hand it to ya. You got skill.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just droolled everywhere. Nice work.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
I haven't tried it on a bumper, but I do have it in my F150... and it holds up great. Its very difficult to scratch, though, its got a lifetime warranty. Take it back to the Line-X installer, and they'll touch it up free. When they touch it up, it blends right in, difficult to notice.

Its a bit more expensive than roll-on, or at home spray ons... I believe its applied hot (though I don't know for sure). More expensive, but holds up really well.

I'm not a fan of roll-on stuff (tried it once, its a mess and it peeled on me after a few months.)

Haven't tried the at home spray on (duplicolor) stuff yet... maybe soon though.
I was thinking hard about the duplicolor stuff. If I can find some good feedback (havent searched it yet) I might go that route. If not, just a hammered black rustoleum. Whatever I use, I have to be able to touch it up as I scratch it up. Thanks for your input...

Originally Posted by eisenjj
That has to be one of the better home built units I have seen...imho!
Thanks. I dont know if its fair to say "home built." He has a full steal fab shop. He has this press called a Pirhana that slices through 3/8" steal plate like butter. It also has a smaller press on its side that just takes small bites out of the steal plate, and a punch to just punch out perfect 1/2" holes. He uses 2 diff welders based on the need, lubed circular saws... I imagine it was made the same way any custom bumper from a shop would make it.

Originally Posted by bosscj351
That is absolutely nice. Any thoughts on the weight of the bumper, with and without the winch? Gotta' hand it to ya. You got skill.
HE has skill, not me! I'm helping doing some measuring, grinding and other pissant jobs. It was cool to sit there with him step by step and design it as we went along, though. He is going to put on some monster 3/4" thick clevis mounts that are like 5 or 6" tall too. Add the winch bar over it, and it should be really nice.

The winch is 94 lbs, and to be honest, the bumper seems a little less, but right around that same weight. I dont have a scale, but it would be good to know. I'll have to see how I can weigh it...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Welded up most of the seams and grinded everything down. It needs just a tiny bit more welding and grinding, then add the 3/4" x 5" d-ring mounts, primer and black Duplicolor. It will be done tomorrow and mounted for the run on Sat. I'll post up some final pics...

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dude that is one of the nicest home made bumpers ive seen great job
Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

looks kick a$$

cant wait to see it painted up and installed
Old 01-15-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

very nice looking bumper
Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

I had a bunch of parts (bumpers, grill, rocker guards, and sliders) linexed on my TJ. The stuff is pretty much indestructible. The one drawback is that it fades but they now have an additive to stop that.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by YOGURT
Dont use the Duplicolor stuff! I make all my stuff too, and I am now in the middle of redoing the front bumper. I used the duplicolor bedliner I prep the bumper with etching primer and sprayed the bedliner trough a hopper. And that crap peels of like crazy. Automotive paint is the only way to go. Unless you have it line x'ed.

Nice bumper by the way. I feel sorry for anybody who pulls out in front of you.
DAMN! Now I hear this?!?! Well, its done been duplicolorified!

We'll see how it holds up. I can always redo it if it comes off that easily. I actually heard the it adheres great directly to the steal. Maybe the primer creates some issues? Anyway, I just slopped acetone all over it and cleaned it really well. Let it dry, then hit it with the Duplicolor.

Quick Reply: Front stubby bumper w/ winch build