Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Front Bumper Build

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you just take off your bumper and look at how it was put together? or did you have some schematics from Jeep? I want to do this but I can't just disassemble my DD to do it. How did you get started?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reiper
Did you just take off your bumper and look at how it was put together? or did you have some schematics from Jeep? I want to do this but I can't just disassemble my DD to do it. How did you get started?
If you were asking me, I just took the 8 nuts off of the studs on the bumper, unplugged the fog lights, and pulled off the bumper.

There is no law that says you can't drive a car without a bumper. I drove mine for a week without it, it's no big deal and on the JK it's not as noticeable as you'd think.

There were no, and are no schematics for the bumper I made. I started with the front middle piece, cut it out, drilled the holes, and bolted it on. Then cut the top middle piece out, tacked welded it at a 90 angle and started to cut other pieces and I saw them in my head. I had a general idea of what I wanted the final product to look like, but there were some adjustments that were made while I built.

I pretty much built the bumper right on the front of the jeep. I'd take the pieces out to the jeep as I cut them to see how they would fit and then tack welded them on and added more pieces. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but with a little ambition and some serious trial and error I got it done in about 15 hours.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Nice Job! That was great work
Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it looks great and clean work too, helluva days work!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazyboattower
If you were asking me, I just took the 8 nuts off of the studs on the bumper, unplugged the fog lights, and pulled off the bumper.

There is no law that says you can't drive a car without a bumper. I drove mine for a week without it, it's no big deal and on the JK it's not as noticeable as you'd think.

There were no, and are no schematics for the bumper I made. I started with the front middle piece, cut it out, drilled the holes, and bolted it on. Then cut the top middle piece out, tacked welded it at a 90 angle and started to cut other pieces and I saw them in my head. I had a general idea of what I wanted the final product to look like, but there were some adjustments that were made while I built.

I pretty much built the bumper right on the front of the jeep. I'd take the pieces out to the jeep as I cut them to see how they would fit and then tack welded them on and added more pieces. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but with a little ambition and some serious trial and error I got it done in about 15 hours.
Hi, ok I have looked at about a1000 different bumpers now ,well alot anyway going thru these threads and your is by far the best one I have seen IMO. as far as being able to figure out how to make one myself. I don't see any that I would pay $300.00 or more for. I would like to see your new version, since it has been a year since you posted this thread. What guage of steel do you recommend? The lighter the better for me, I am not a serious offroader or rock climber. I just basically want tow hooks and a nice looking bumper, no winch for now. Thanks again for a very nice write up.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Former Member

I like the looks of it. If I were you, I'd add a length of tube to the top of the bumper, but no higher than the "wings;" that is to say I'd fasten it on the angled pieces all the way across the bumper with the intention of mounting a gaggle of lights on it.

Great work, very encouraging...
Old 02-06-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Wow. Nice job!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you taking orders?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default :-)

Very nice work!! I wish I had that kind of talent!!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

you have skills ..nice..

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Build