Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Front Bumper Build

Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6
That looks great. A would definitely agree with using a thicker steel. I was thinking about making my own bumpers and sliders, you just made me want to do it even more.
It's pretty easy, you just have to do it, and the best way to learn to weld is to buy a welder and some steel and start laying down some ugly beads. A grinder is your friend when you first start. The side rails were easier than I thought, but they are coming off and getting some more support. They were made out of thick enough metal that they will work, I just want to add some stuff for looks.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

nice job. You just talked me into getting a welder.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Crazyboattower
It's pretty easy, you just have to do it, and the best way to learn to weld is to buy a welder and some steel and start laying down some ugly beads. A grinder is your friend when you first start. The side rails were easier than I thought, but they are coming off and getting some more support. They were made out of thick enough metal that they will work, I just want to add some stuff for looks.
I have a welder and know how to weld, I was just on the fence if I wanted to actual do it or not. Seeing you build it from scratch put me over the edge, plus the only thing I will have to buy is steel. I just had the tank refilled on my welder. Its only a little Lincoln Electric mig but I welded my entire Nova with it an it works great.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your bumper looks great. Making it your own way is a great way to have your Jeep customized. I worked with my school welding instructor and students to get my bumper built. They weld so well that 10 of them are certified welders. Even though I can weld I pale in comparison to them. It takes a lot of thought to work out how you want it to fit and look. When we finished my bumper I took it out and used it in the woods. Then pulled it off, tore it apart, cut 2 inches off the bottom and put it back together. I still want a stinger on the front so that will come later. Congratulations on your build.

First try:

Second time:

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 01-20-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6
I have a welder and know how to weld, I was just on the fence if I wanted to actual do it or not. Seeing you build it from scratch put me over the edge, plus the only thing I will have to buy is steel. I just had the tank refilled on my welder. Its only a little Lincoln Electric mig but I welded my entire Nova with it an it works great.
You can make the bumper I made with a 4x4 sheet of metal and if you plan your cuts well you'll have a good piece of leftover to play with.

My suggestion is to make cardboard templates of the pieces as you go. They are easier to cut and cheaper when you make a mistake. I will also tell you that this bumper was thinner gauge than I wanted, but it was half the price of what I was going to use. Having said that, I still went through 10 cutoff wheels on my angle grinder and a sander/flapper disk to smooth things out. After all the welding I went through almost a full spool of wire in the welder but I welded it front and back to make it strong and fill in everything. I also had to make some brackets to mount the factory fog lights. I used the factory lights because I had them which meant they were free, the wiring was already there, and the bulbs are so easy to change if they burn out. Plus I think they look good.

Get some ideas of what bumper you want, try to keep things simple as far as angles go. I used a welding magnet that has 90 and 45 deg angles on it so those are the angles on the bumper. That made keeping things symmetrical easier.

Good luck on your builds and if anyone wants me to make them a bumper, just let me know. I work pretty cheap and I enjoy spending time at my buddies shop.

And don't forget that the whole reason to do this is to enjoy a couple of these .
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good!. it does look like a mini version of the bestop bumper.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

thats what mine gonna look by now , i dont finish the design yet

may be i will add a bullbar

fore sure i got to add some shakle
Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

very clean. mine looks just like that but no fog lights and wings. oh and i had some 1" thick steel i mad to put drings on
Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have any 3d modeling computer programing experence, I just cut and build pieces as I go and things just come together, but it would be nice to design it in cad and have it tell you all the dimensions. If I could design it in cad I'd probably have a company laser cut me all the pieces out of some 3/8" plate and just weld it up at home.

If anyone wants to buy this bumper from me, it's for sale. I'm going to make me a little different model sometime in the next month or so.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Nice looking bumper.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Build