Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Front Bumper Build

Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper Build

So, this is the start of my front bumper build. I hope to have it done by Friday, but we'll see how that goes. I thought I'd post some pics to see what you guys thought about it. It's about half way done right now and I'm going to change a couple of things like skinning up the front and sides because I think they are to bulky. I still have to add the bottom-middle piece and was thinking of taking it back to the cross bar that is between the frame rails up front, then I will finish the ends caps, weld it up, and paint it. It will also have some D-rings where the bumper will bolt to the frame horns.
If I make another I'll use 11 gauge or thicker but for many reasons I am using 14 gauge which I know is thin but it was half the price and for my first time it makes things easier on me.

I guess I should tell you what I was going for in this bumper:

1. I wanted something between a stubby and a full bumper, it stops about mid-fender.

2. I wanted to fill in the gap between the fender and bumper a little but didn't want to have the ends "flying in the air".

3. I will not be doing any crazy wheeling, but could make it a little more sturdy if I wanted to.

It needed to be simple enough to make with my basic hand tools (4.5" angle grinder and cut-off wheels, Hand drill, 110 welder)

5. I really just wanted to see if I could make it.

This was a starting point for the end caps. I just cut a 6" by 42" piece of metal and made a template for the mounting holes. I then tacked an 8" piece to the top at a 90 deg angle. It looks ok, but still might do some changes.

After some mock-up outside I decided to make my life simple and tacked some 4" pieces at a 45 deg angle, then the end top pieces were tacked with the opposite 45 deg angle to make it parallel to the rest of the bumper.

This is the part I really don't like the looks of at this point. I'm going to "skinny" it up tomorrow when I work on it again, but I tacked the front part of the end caps. It's a little to "flat" for my taste so I'm going to give it some more definition.

I also think I'm going to cut some metal off of the back of the end caps so everything doesn't look so bulky, but I think it's a good start.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nice

lookin good. I think if it could house a winch inside, the cut outs up top and in front anlong with the clevis rings would break up the bulky look. nice job so far
Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

So after a day of thought and looking at some other bumpers, I've decided to pretty much start over. I got some pretty good ideas so tomorrow is a whole new project.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, here's the almost finished product. I'm still making some tow hooks with thicker plates and am contemplating bending some tube for a bar on top. I'd put a winch on it, but I think I'll build another bumper for that when I get the money for a winch. I made this out of 14 gauge and I know it's too thin but I wanted to try and build one before I went out and got some thick plate. This will do for now. I mounted the factory fog lights to make things easier. I also made the caps short on purpose. I'm going to try to make some metal flat fenders and thought they might be a little skinner in front.

Here are some pics before paint and fog lights. They aren't that great, but you'll get the idea.

Here is the mostly finished product. I'm going to still add some stuff, but I might just rebuild it with thicker plate.

Last edited by Crazyboattower; 01-16-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's nice. You do clean work. I have two suggestions IF you decide to rebuild it. First, "I" think it has too much gap between the top of the bumper ends and the front fenders. Secondly, "I" think it would look better if the bumper ends went the full width of the front fenders. That said, I still think it looks very good and if you leave well enough alone, it'll look great too.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

nice job !!

i'm seriously thinking to build one too !!!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
That's nice. You do clean work. I have two suggestions IF you decide to rebuild it. First, "I" think it has too much gap between the top of the bumper ends and the front fenders. Secondly, "I" think it would look better if the bumper ends went the full width of the front fenders. That said, I still think it looks very good and if you leave well enough alone, it'll look great too.
I left the ends short because I'm going to take the plastic fenders off and make a set of metal flat fenders. I think it will look better when the other fenders are on.
I am also thinking about making another bumper out of thicker gauge and changing it around a little again. This was a project just to see if I could do it and I think it turned out pretty good.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice.

PS; I want to learn to weld
Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

That looks great. A would definitely agree with using a thicker steel. I was thinking about making my own bumpers and sliders, you just made me want to do it even more.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie

nice

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Build