Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Forget the Hemi !!!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEV will be selling them with 5.7Hemi not diesel for 50K with D60 etc
Old 04-18-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I was going to do an ngine swap on a jeep i'd likely try to put the caterpiller c7 engine into it. 7.2 liter inline six deisel that pushes out up to 300 hp at 1400 rpms and up to 860 ft lbs at 1440 rpms

that or I'd try to pick up a salvaged ls7 corvette engine. 505 hp 475 ft lbs, and it's actually a fairly compact engine for being 7.0 liters in dispacement. th emissions and gas milage of the vette are pretty amazing considring th numbers, of course it'd be hard to tell how well it'd do in the jeep, but as many people here like to say

Gas milage?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Marine
Ok, then what did AEV put in their new "J8" jeep? That is basically a JK unlimited with a diesel of some type....what is in that jeep?
Sorry but it's not the same as a JK

read what Dave (the owner of AEV) had to say about this on their forum

While the J8 obviously shares components with a JK they are very very different. The frame is considerably stronger, more reinforcements, different cross members, obviously different rear suspension ect. The bodies are also different with many reinforcements not found in JK, different roll bars, double walled floors etc, different brakes (2009 Dodge Ram), larger wheel bolt pattern, different tailgate, different latches, totally different electrical system and on and on...the biggest thing to understand is that these are not JKs with a diesel and leaf springs. The J8 undergoes durability testing that is three times as severe and three times as long as what a JK must endure.

If this was available before I bought my JK I would probably consider it! you get a motor option. and it's obviously overall cheaper than taking a JK and doing a swap!
would I do it now? no... I've put so much already

Lo2aY
Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spotted on Woodward Ave in the Detroit Michigan area. Yes that's a CRD on US roads. It's an engineering vehicle.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Hi

I have a 2,8 diesel JK , i live in the absolute north-east of Europe (kirkenes Norway) in the winter it gets down to -40 degrees celsius and i have tested the jeep this winter by not using anny blockheater or other aid to start the car.
It has started and run without anny problems all winter.

cold+diesel=no problem
bad diesel is your'e problem not the engine and filter.

Vegar
Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Willjeepforfood
Yep, great motor until you live in a cold climate where you have to worry about changing filters every 5 days and having your fuel gel.

Diesel = SUCK ASS in cold weather.
what SUCK ASS ? are you talking about diesel fuel(the byproduct that is cheap until...and then charging more than gasoline....) just so you know there are additives...
Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

I still dont see whats wrong with a hemi in a jk its a match made by the car gods. Considerin you can get a 427 hemi in a jk! Forget the crd engine go big or go home.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

I partialy agree, exept the fact that a diesel is 100% waterproof and i hate to stal when flooding.

my old tj hated water and im looking forward to test the aev-snorkel on my diesel jeep.

Vegar
Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 AM
JK Newbie

Hey diesels are water tight except for the turbo. If your wheelin hard what do you think is gonna happen when you suck water into that turbo? Also how many Pro boggers have you heard of that run turbos? So N/A engines are the way to go. Another point that could be made is if your at extreme lean angles no oil to your turbo it goes BOOM! Period.

Last edited by texasman1383; 05-07-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by texasman1383
Hey diesels are water tight except for the turbo. If your wheelin hard what do you think is gonna happen when you suck water into that turbo? Also how many Pro boggers have you heard of that run turbos? So N/A engines are the way to go. Another point that could be made is if your at extreme lean angles no oil to your turbo it goes BOOM! Period.

I have never blown any turbos on anny dieselengines when i have driven in water, i realy don't se the problem you are pointing at , the turbo sucks/blows air and blows exhoust and don't take in water even if they are submerged under water as long as the snorkel is over the waterline and the engine is running.

I have been at least fefteen minutes with the hole bonnett and engine under water, the trick is realy to let the engine rev a bitt higher than normal and make sure you have a watertight air inntake.

oh.i'm realy lucky if i se a pro bogger here, and i dont do a lot of hillclimbing with my car so for the short amount of time i do have extreme lean angels i'm usualy fine, my turbo is lubricated by the same pump that goes to the rest of the engine so it's god that the easiest part to change goes out first, the engine dont stop even if the turbo dies

Quick Reply: Forget the Hemi !!!