Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Flash Flood Jeep Run

Old 08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Favorite snorkel design is gotta be homebrew for me. You can put and topper on it that you want and if you need more length then just throw some PVC pipe in there and run it to the sky.

This is a design by Dirtman with a small twist by Battlefrog.

I like that idea. Do you have a write-up?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racin444
Even though you are right about the serpentine belt throwing water at the stock intake box it is not enough to suck it in and damage the motor. Most motors that take in water bog down and turn off. If you continue to try to drive on it while you know something is up thats when you hydrolock your motor. Ive gone through many deeper puddles and never came close to hydrolocking with the stock airbox. Funny there wasnt even a splash of water in it? So I think that little snorkel design was a great design Jeep! As for hydrolocking a motor Ive almost had that done to several Cherokees. Basically all you have to do is pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over. Make sure to have someone hold a finger over each sparkplug hole to pressurize and rid all the water in each cylinder. Once you do that youre good to go. You might need to change your oil after that as well. Other than that if you take in water make sure to kill the engine!!! If not youll definitely do damage. I got all this from experience so trust me!
Despite all your experience, it's still a poor design, sorry, but have found water in my airbox from exactly what I described and even if it's not enough to hydrolock the motor, it shouldn't be that easy to get water in there.

YMMV
Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Have you seen my video?? I mean, no disrespect to your flood video, but mine is for sure.

(Link below)
hahaha nice video. i thought you were in a river or somethink.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi

splashing the little blue car (4:48-4:50 first video ) was classic :rotfl mao2:
Old 08-11-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racin444
As for hydrolocking a motor Ive almost had that done to several Cherokees. Basically all you have to do is pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over. Make sure to have someone hold a finger over each sparkplug hole to pressurize and rid all the water in each cylinder. Once you do that youre good to go. You might need to change your oil after that as well. Other than that if you take in water make sure to kill the engine!!! If not youll definitely do damage. I got all this from experience so trust me!
if your motor has ingested enough water to hydrolock you won't have time to shut the motor off before you have catastrophic failure. Unless of course you are at low RPM and the motor dies from lack of air before the water gets into the cylinder.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PainKiller
splashing the little blue car (4:48-4:50 first video ) was classic :rotfl mao2:
Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

lmao when i saw that ricer stuck and you sprayed shit water all over it
Old 08-12-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dstock
Despite all your experience, it's still a poor design, sorry, but have found water in my airbox from exactly what I described and even if it's not enough to hydrolock the motor, it shouldn't be that easy to get water in there.

YMMV
Although you found water in there doesnt mean itll hydrolock your motor. Even with a snorkel youre bound to get some traces of water in your airbox hence why Jeep put such a big box in there and drains at the bottom. As for the position of the intake being lined up with the belt. Where else would you want it? I mean the belt is gonna spray just about every direction in that area. Facing it forward would just be asking for water to come in and backwards would just cause it to constantly suck in hot air. The best place for it is high up and by the side where the fender meets the hood.

Originally Posted by baconrocket
if your motor has ingested enough water to hydrolock you won't have time to shut the motor off before you have catastrophic failure. Unless of course you are at low RPM and the motor dies from lack of air before the water gets into the cylinder.
Id have to say you definitely have time to save the motor because its happened more times than 1 for me. The only time someone I know hydrolocked was when he floored through a shallow lake in his '97 Grand Cherokee and those arent designed to take on any water. If you are not careful of course youre gonna hydrolock but if you know what youre doing and have done it before youll save the engine. Heres a pic of some proof of forwarding a lot of water and this Cherokee is on 35 Baja Claws...

Quick Reply: Flash Flood Jeep Run