Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Flash Flood Jeep Run

Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rain...... share please??
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubiguy24
The huge puddles we went through were not THAT deep. they looked really deep since we went through them pretty fast. But in order to really hydrolock the motor, you really need to go through water that is pretty freaking deep. Like up to the doors deep or more. I also have the stock air box so that makes it tougher for water to get in than if I had a cold air intake. And a frew people have told me that the stock air box has little filters on the bottom to let any water that gets in there out. My Jeep is fine

Wranglers are BORN for this kind of stuff

So after others brought up hydrolock, you had no clue what it was, yet now you know everything about it? Google is a wonderful thing, huh?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

How many cars were cut-off in the making of this video???
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler
So after others brought up hydrolock, you had no clue what it was, yet now you know everything about it? Google is a wonderful thing, huh?
I talked to some other guys who own jeeps in my area. So yes I was educated. I do happen to know a lot about the technical stuff, considering I own a Shelby GT mustang and have done some pretty extensive engine work, but never heard the term hydrolock. Mustangs don't like water haha.

I'm thinking about installing a snorkel sometime in the near future. What snorkel do you like best? I know there are several different brands.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Have you seen my video?? I mean, no disrespect to your flood video, but mine is for sure.

(Link below)
Now that is badass
Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love driving in floods
Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I talked to some other guys who own jeeps in my area. So yes I was educated. I do happen to know a lot about the technical stuff, considering I own a Shelby GT mustang and have done some pretty extensive engine work, but never heard the term hydrolock. Mustangs don't like water haha.

I'm thinking about installing a snorkel sometime in the near future. What snorkel do you like best? I know there are several different brands.
Truth be told, I love the River Raider one. Not nearly as invasive as others, plus the look is very cool. Granted, you have to "prepare" it before you hit water, but still...
Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The huge puddles we went through were not THAT deep. they looked really deep since we went through them pretty fast. But in order to really hydrolock the motor, you really need to go through water that is pretty freaking deep. Like up to the doors deep or more. I also have the stock air box so that makes it tougher for water to get in than if I had a cold air intake. And a frew people have told me that the stock air box has little filters on the bottom to let any water that gets in there out. My Jeep is fine

Wranglers are BORN for this kind of stuff
It actually doesn't take a super deep puddle, if the water hits the bottom of the serpentine belt pulley, it conveniently throws a line of spray right across the under side of the hood which then runs right down into the intake of.....that's right, you guessed it....the stock air box.

Take a look where the belt lines up next time you are under your hood, you will be very surprised Not the greatest design ever.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dstock
It actually doesn't take a super deep puddle, if the water hits the bottom of the serpentine belt pulley, it conveniently throws a line of spray right across the under side of the hood which then runs right down into the intake of.....that's right, you guessed it....the stock air box.

Take a look where the belt lines up next time you are under your hood, you will be very surprised Not the greatest design ever.
Even though you are right about the serpentine belt throwing water at the stock intake box it is not enough to suck it in and damage the motor. Most motors that take in water bog down and turn off. If you continue to try to drive on it while you know something is up thats when you hydrolock your motor. Ive gone through many deeper puddles and never came close to hydrolocking with the stock airbox. Funny there wasnt even a splash of water in it? So I think that little snorkel design was a great design Jeep! As for hydrolocking a motor Ive almost had that done to several Cherokees. Basically all you have to do is pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over. Make sure to have someone hold a finger over each sparkplug hole to pressurize and rid all the water in each cylinder. Once you do that youre good to go. You might need to change your oil after that as well. Other than that if you take in water make sure to kill the engine!!! If not youll definitely do damage. I got all this from experience so trust me!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Jedi

No way I could just drive by people sitting in cars in the middle of all of that. It doesn't take much to float a passenger vehicle. I'm certainly not trying to blast the OP, but I would have stopped to help if it was safe to do so.

Quick Reply: Flash Flood Jeep Run