Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

First time using the winch!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xodius
Best way I have read this far and please chime in if I am wrong is to extend cable all the way and hook onto another vehicle. Then with your foot on your brake winch the second vehicle towards you. The second vehicle should be in neutral with very little brake pressure be applied.
As to why, I believe this is to extend life of cable an to help prevent snapping.
However, please anyone with more xp chime in as I could be wrong.
Easiest way is to hook up to another vehicle. Have one person in the Jeep with their foot on the brake, and slowly winch yourself to the stationary vehicle.
Person #2 feeds the cable left to right to spread the cable evenly as to not have it all bunched up in one place.
Reason for doing so is that you will put pre-tension on the cable and to not pinch the steel cable. With Synthetic you still want to do the same, but obviously you don't have the pinch issue on the cable.
Besides the pinching of the cable you are also getting the max strenght out of the winch and the cable.
A pinched cable will make it easier for it to snap with a hard pull.

Hope that makes sense, hard to explain with the limited english I have, considering I'm a foreign bastard!

Quick Reply: First time using the winch!