Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

First cut polish and wax ever on my 4.5yr old Rubi...few pics

Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jckid
Wow! Can't believe you waited that long, but it looks really good. My latest JK is 5 months old and has been waxed 5 times. Some people think you can over do wax, but I don't. I had a YJ that I waxed once a month for the first three years or so, then about 3-4 times a year for the next five years. When it was 8 years old and had 92,000 miles, it still looked nearly new. I am going with that plan on my new JK. The only thing is, I think the older paint like on the YJ was more durable than the new stuff.
I wheel my rig and didnt really care toooo much about the paint over the years...had lots of pinstriping...I'm going to start waxing it more often.

Originally Posted by Ruckus99ss
lol jeep looks good. 4.5 years without a wax I had to wax mine the first week.
turned out nice.....over the winter months it really isnt realistic to wax...i just wash it to get the salt and crap off it..now that summer is here it will get more attention..

Originally Posted by RevyJKU08
Looks great Steve.....That bromide/salt crap they put on the highway's in BC beat the piss out of the powder coated modifications. I am sure in a year or 2 i will have to armourthane/rhino line my bumpers...

Don't cut polish too often as each time you cut polish your clearcoat gets thinner. I try to cut polish every 2 or 3 years unless the scratches are looking terrible. But I do claybar once/year and wax my vehicles 2 or 3 times/year (never can over wax). My father-in-law used to own 3 bodyshops and told me a few years back about cut polishing thins out the clearcoating pretty good on stock paint jobs.
Winter roads are shitty here...this was the first cut my jeep had in its life, so it was fine to do it....it really needed it....I will probably just clay bar it from now on and wax it to keep it up.

My front bumper went to shit this winter....I bed lined it last summer, and it is rusting right thru....going to strip it and do multiple coats this time....plus undercoat every underneath too.

Now that Ralu and I are moving back to Vancouver this summer, the jeep wont get all that salt ans crap on it during winter months...
Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi

I have really irony water here and I tend to get lazy about drying my rig after washing. So the paint finally started to stain where it would sit and dry. I just used some turtle wax rubbing compound for the first time on my 07' just last weekend for the first time. It's really amazing how well it works. I forgot how bright silver actually was....
Old 06-08-2011, 02:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
I have really irony water here and I tend to get lazy about drying my rig after washing. So the paint finally started to stain where it would sit and dry. I just used some turtle wax rubbing compound for the first time on my 07' just last weekend for the first time. It's really amazing how well it works. I forgot how bright silver actually was....
I do wash my rig regularly, even if I don't wax it. I don't spend much time drying it. I take it for a couple miles out on the Interstate and that blows most of the water off. Then I take my wash rag, which I've thoroughly rinsed off, and wring it out and use it to hit the few spots that remain, as well as around the doors. Takes about two or three minutes. Another couple minutes to clean the windows with glass cleaner. If it got dirty inside, I may hit it with the wet-dry vac.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, ! very nice rig
Old 06-08-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my second cut polish recently. But the rain and pollen has made the Jeep polka dotted again. ARGH.

Two days and a one rain day after the wax/polish. Still shining!

This Friday, I'm gonna do a quick detail on mine and wax the lady's JK.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
I took it to a guy in Whistler, and showed me all his special buffing products.....I know he clay barred it, then did a half cut, and then full wax.....he does this for a living and he told me it took him just over 4 hrs....and thats with all the right tools/product on hand.
Looks like did a good job fior you there. Wouldn't mind the name of the fellow who did yours. I have family in Whistler and get up there every few months and would love to give my girl a good polishing.

Quick Reply: First cut polish and wax ever on my 4.5yr old Rubi...few pics