Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Finished up the lift - got in an accident

Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finished up the lift - got in an accident

Some of you know I just spent the last few days getting my Teraflex 3" lift on my jeep. I went out this afternoon and finished dialing in the suspension. I got the castor spot on, the axles centered, and the steering wheel centered. I get everything perfect and ran it around the block. It drove great. So I decided to drive it up out on the main roads and make sure everything was working correctly at speed.

Here is what she looked like before the accident.

I was going 50 mph on a 4 lane road in the right hand lane. There was a minivan in the left lane driving next to me. The chick wasn’t paying attention. There were a line of cars stopped in front of her. She was going the same speed I was, 50. She slammed on her brakes maybe 10 feet before she was going to hit the car in front of her. She knew there was no way she was going to stop so instead of rear ending that car she swerved and slammed into the side of me. She knocked me over the curb and completely off the road into the grass and I barely missed a sign.

I couldn’t believe it. I had just spent so much time and money working on this thing. I was so angry I didn’t get out of the jeep because I didn’t think I was going to be able to control myself. I was yelling some choice words so the chick didn’t dare come over. After about a minute I regained my composure and climbed out and asked if she was OK. She was fine.

Her bumper was off, her grill was gone, her right side headlight was hanging, all the trim was gone off the right side of her van, her passenger door was dented in, the door handle was hanging out and the door wouldn’t open. There was a puddle of oil under the van.

Here it is. She had put the headlight assembly back up and tried to put the bumper back up (hopeless it was only held on by 1 clip).

I was afraid to go look at my Jeep. I walked back around to the drivers side and just sat and stared at it. There was almost no damage. I kept looking thinking I just missing it. I was just dumbfounded. My big wheels and tires took 99% of the impact.

The jeep handled awesome. I never even felt the curb and the panic stop in the grass from 50 MPH was no problem.

The cops showed up and she got a ticket.

The left front wheel got a dent in two places and the center cap was removed. The tirel got scuffed up and some small cuts on the sidewall.

Rear left tire scuffed up and there is a small ding on the wheel.

A couple small scratches on the door

Some scratches on the front bumper

Some scuffs on the rear bumper
Old 05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so sorry man.

I can't believe it. I know how frustrated I would have been if it happened to me after my install. Ugh... hope it works out.

BUT on a positive note, your Jeep looks super good with the new lift.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow man, you lucked out, I guess. Sucks that you got in an accident, but very minimal damage. As I was rdg I was hoping you were gonna say she drove under your JK, and you just rode over her hood. Glad your ok. You'll get a check, right?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for being a gentleman and sparing her from the lashing she most definitely deserved. Accidents do happen. Even to the best of jeepers!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you and the Jeep are ok and able to move under your seperate powers.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKJosh
You'll get a check, right?
Yeah, she got a ticket so I don't even have to pay a deductable. I'm hoping since I just bought the wheels and tires from discounttiredirect.com and still have the receipt the insurance company will just let me order two new wheels and tires and we'll call it a day. I'm not sure if I'm going to ask them to paint the door or not since the scratches are so minor. The bumpers I could care less about.

Honestly I happy as hell about the outcome. The impact was really big. So I'm amazed I ended up with almost no damage.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc_D
order two new wheels and tires....
Hopefully you hadnt ordered a spare yet, be nice to get one out of this.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc_D
Yeah, she got a ticket so I don't even have to pay a deductable. I'm hoping since I just bought the wheels and tires from discounttiredirect.com and still have the receipt the insurance company will just let me order two new wheels and tires and we'll call it a day. I'm not sure if I'm going to ask them to paint the door or not since the scratches are so minor. The bumpers I could care less about.

Honestly I happy as hell about the outcome. The impact was really big. So I'm amazed I ended up with almost no damage.
Since it was her fault isnt her insurance going to have to pay? Everything on your Jeep should be covered by her ins..
Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi

son of a bitch! What is the chance that you wreck the Jeep right after the lift? Glad you are ok!

BTW... The JK looks amazing now!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was getting worried that your jeep got destroyed after putting on your lift, Jeep looks GREAT

Quick Reply: Finished up the lift - got in an accident