Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Finally snorked....

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Looks really good!!
Was the cutting the hardest part? Could you use a dremel?
After the cutting was everything else easy? Thx
I think getting the nerve to cut is harder than the actual cutting. You could absolutely use a dremel. I started using mine but was going through the cutting discs too fast. If you get the right disc, one that can handle the thickness of the hood that would be ideal. The bigger cutoff wheel I had was much harder to control. A small jig saw would probably work even better. The rest of the install was cake. The directions are very straight forward and easy to follow. Just take your time and double check everything. If I can do it anyone can.

Originally Posted by ninjajmoney
Looks great sir . How long did it take you to complete the install?
Took me about 4 hours. This was my first time doing anything like this and I went over things a few times. I did a test fit as well before even cutting to make sure the template lined up with the snorkel when it was bolted in. I also had to stop and change tools a few times cause I was going through my cutting discs on the dremel.

Last edited by JeepNoob10; 04-18-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it wrong that I'm turned on by your Jeep? I think I need to seek help immediately.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hahaha.....thanks.....i think
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok thanks doing my own too soon and I'll look into getting a proper dremel cutting disc.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Ok thanks doing my own too soon and I'll look into getting a proper dremel cutting disc.
Cool. If you have any questions feel free to PM me
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks really good!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

That looks amazing. I can't wait to do this. Did you have to do anything under the hood?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R-U-B-I-C-O-N
That looks amazing. I can't wait to do this. Did you have to do anything under the hood?
Thank you! As far as cutting you'll need to cut out the back of the hole a bit more to fit the snorkel when the hood is closed.

Other than that as far as work to be done under the hood its just removing the stock "snorkel" piece from the airbox and connecting the AEV one then sealing it all up.

The directions from AEV are really good and very straight forward.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone scared about cutting the hood don't be. You don't need to be exact. It is good to be but there is a metal trim piece that fills in the gap. If you cut a little off the mark the trim piece covers it.

I cut my hood with a Sawzall but I admit I had a beer before I started to reduce the worry.

I still haven't installed my trim piece because it was minus -15 when I did the install

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	306954
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepingNet
For anyone scared about cutting the hood don't be. You don't need to be exact. It is good to be but there is a metal trim piece that fills in the gap. If you cut a little off the mark the trim piece covers it.

I cut my hood with a Sawzall but I admit I had a beer before I started to reduce the worry.

I still haven't installed my trim piece because it was minus -15 when I did the install

Attachment 306954
exactly! I think more importantly is to just do a dry run first and bolt everything up. Then put the template on the hood just to make sure when you close the hood the template lines up with where the snorkel sits when its bolted in.

Then cut the hood, the trim ring gives you a decent amount of play in case your cut isnt as perfect as you'd like. It really isnt that bad to do at all.

Quick Reply: Finally snorked....