Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Fender Mod

Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Mod

So, I have been out on the trails 3 times now, and the only problem that I am having is that my fender flares that I have are all messed up. They are scraping some of the larger rocks. So, I have been looking at other fender flares, but I am fairly certain that they will al do the same thing. I know that I have seen some cut fender flares on the site, but I am missing them. If anyone has done it, what are you using to cut them and what are you basing the shape off of?

Is it worth doing? Wind problems?

Any help would be great!

Chad
Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

what size tires are you running?

here is a link to one post that someone cut there fenders. just use some masking tape and cut away. im waiting to do this until i mash up my fenders but if yours are messed up and i don't see any problems in trimming them up. and as stated on some other topics with the fenders no one had any problems with flapping. they were still sturdy

check out this post hope it helps

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/lone-star-state-47/finally-got-stones-cut-my-fenders-79229/
Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Reds fender trim with detailed pics and video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JK Factory Fender Chop Write-Up

My Fender Chop

Trimmed Fender thread post ur pics here!

Finally cut the fenders!!

My Fender Chop

finally got the stones to cut my fenders
Old 04-10-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chadsrub
So, I have been out on the trails 3 times now, and the only problem that I am having is that my fender flares that I have are all messed up. They are scraping some of the larger rocks. So, I have been looking at other fender flares, but I am fairly certain that they will al do the same thing. I know that I have seen some cut fender flares on the site, but I am missing them. If anyone has done it, what are you using to cut them and what are you basing the shape off of?

Is it worth doing? Wind problems?

Any help would be great!

Chad
wow i guess you missed them all right i did not know there were that many
Old 04-10-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think these will give you some ideas!

If you don't go the trimmed fender route. Xenon also makes flat panel flares for the JK that are 1.5" narrower than the stock flare. They also give you at least 2" of additonal clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the flare. If you get a rock close enough to bash these, then it was going to happen regardless of which flare or no flare you're using.

the Xenons look like installed....

Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
I think these will give you some ideas!

that JK is NASTY!!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Incase you didn't go through all the links I used a dremel tool with a heavy duty plastic cutting disk. I think I went through 3-4 disk for everything and that includes the sub structure. If you keep the substructure there's no more wind then you usually get.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After trimming all four fenders, you'll learn which tool works best. I had access to a dremel, sawzall (spelling ??), jigsaw, and angle grinder.

I found using a thin (2-3mm) stone disc on an angle grinder was by far the best tool to use for inner and outer fender cutting - it has a lot more oommph than a dremel, was accurate, and could slice through the plastic fender in one motion. Before any cutting, be sure to take your time laying masking tape on the lines wanted. Once started, you'll enjoy the process.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
that jeep is huge. if it were a baseball player, it would definitely be subpoenaed by congress after being named in the mitchell report. very nice.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

you'll enjoy the process
I so want to do this but fear I will not enjoy doing it. Guess I just have to go out one Saturday and start.

Quick Reply: Fender Mod