Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Fail!!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like mentioned...cant you replace the studs in the spacers? if not this is another reason to dislike spacers. i cant imagine you would need to buy 4 new spacers because of the studs are damaged. GOod luck!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoojk
like mentioned...cant you replace the studs in the spacers? if not this is another reason to dislike spacers. i cant imagine you would need to buy 4 new spacers because of the studs are damaged. GOod luck!
I wouldn't trust the integrity of the metal once the lugs have been damaged. It is safer to go with a new spacer instead of trying to salvage the old ones IMO. It may have damaged the holes or have hairline cracks. This is the reason I only hand-torque the lug nuts and go to tire shops that do the same. I have actually went in the shop and watched the guys doing the work to be 100% sure.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
I wouldn't trust the integrity of the metal once the lugs have been damaged. It is safer to go with a new spacer instead of trying to salvage the old ones IMO. It may have damaged the holes or have hairline cracks. This is the reason I only hand-torque the lug nuts and go to tire shops that do the same. I have actually went in the shop and watched the guys doing the work to be 100% sure.
Very good point, I didnt think about metal fatigue.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow!

I had the jeep dealer replace one of my studs a couple weeks ago and I checked their work when I got home.

The idiot that replaced it never tightend the bolts, but luckily I only live about a mile away.

I feel lucky now!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Oh i am sure people are going to be all over this saying spacers are bad....

But that would be BS, look at the pictures. The spacers didnt fail.

THE STUDS FAILED.

that could happen to anyone, spacers or not, if you overtorque the lugnuts.
What he said. That was overtorqued. Buy spidertrax and buy a torque wrench.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)

Edit: Well this is the result of...."Hey Alfredo, Since you have nothing to do and I have to work today. Why don't you pull my Jeep around back and rotate my tires."

During the test drive at 50 mph 1 mile from work this was the result. I'll check on monday but I'm pretty sure he used the impact gun and cranked the sh!t out of them.
Good thing I hadn't made it to the freeway. YET!
HOLY SHIT

I believe an asswhooping is in order here. Damn, i'd be pissed off very very very much.

Hope the bastard who installed it, is paying out of his pocket for this.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

This is probably the 4th person I've seen with this type of failure. All of them have to do with over tightening the lugs. I'm sorry dude that really sucks.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good thing you had the spacers.. I would imagine rolling down the street on the rotors with no lugs on it would have caused more damage then this situation.. damaged caliper perhaps, bent rotor or the worst, could have lost the rotor alltogether..

not to knock your shop Clackey, but it looks like something Mavis tire or Jiffy lube did.

Whomever did that needs a serious lesson on the basics, and I would hope he didnt do it to others customers cars
Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Question: Did you ever fix it?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Question: Did you ever fix it?
Nope. I've been way too busy. I parked it in the corner of the shop. I should have time after Christams to go wheelin. I'll fix it then. It's covered in about a 1/4 inch of dust. The painter had parts stacked on it yesterday. Apparently the roof was the only flat place he could find to set a bunch of flares and mouldings he had painted earlier in the day. Shame shame shame on me. Bad Jeeper!

Quick Reply: Fail!!!!