Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Factory roll bar/roll cage good enough for triangulation and support?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jesus....not sure the guy in that red jeep made it...
moving on to happy build subjects, im glad i found this thread cause i had the same question about a cage im going to be doing. mines a 2 door and cant wait to see how that cage your building turns out no compromise. a question for you though (i know this is a cage forum) howd you trim out the back of those fenders no compromise? looking under there i cant tell if all that crap is support or just empty space. underneath the taillights theres that hollow triangle shape that you cut out. on the subject of cages, now that ive decided to not build off the factory would yall go exo or internal? im thinking internal because exo doesnt look that great, 2 doors dont have that much body to mess up once you take the doors off and have a good stinger on the front bumper and exo adds a good couple of inches on the side you have to figure out a way to squeeze through rocks.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory cage is worthless. Its very thin, and its a sleeve fit.

If you want a good cage, go with good .120 wall DOM or the like.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've rolled a jeep a number of times. It sucks each and every time. Even when the jeep was more buggy than jeep it sucked.

My first roll was a 360* that ended in the passenger being held in by the factory belt. They needed a lift to break the seat belt free. The cage was a TJ, through the dash cage that held up fine... once. The 2nd roll was 2 and 1/2 times over and the cage was JUST enough. One more roll and it would have collapsed.

Beyond that I did a full custom cage with all the triangulation necessary to sustain multiple rolls, multiple times.

The suggestion that the factory cage isn't enough is nonsense. It'll do it... once. Windshield up only. After that it'll need replacing. A cage that worked once, is a successful cage. More than once is a different design parameter beyond what the factory intended.
The following users liked this post:
Mad-Max (06-06-2024)
Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkJason
From what I've seen it looks like the stock cage folds in on itself, exactly what you don't want to happen. When I have a custom cage put it I'm going to have a cross bar behind the front seats to help prevent the sides from folding.

I know this is a car but if you look at the race cars/trucks they all have a similar cross bar. Not claiming to be a pro on this subject or anything but it's something I've noticed. I'm more concerned with the high speed highway rollover than the low speed ones.

that diagnal bar is key, welded into the horizontal bar behind the seat
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than start a new thread, i'll just append to this thread topic as its related to the subject.

How much additional strength is a bolt on 'sport cage' going to add to the factory cage?

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a sport cage, but wondering if it really will result in just adding a lot of weight and not much function.

thanks in advance.....and ride lots!

Quick Reply: Factory roll bar/roll cage good enough for triangulation and support?