Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Factory roll bar/roll cage good enough for triangulation and support?

Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory roll bar/roll cage good enough for triangulation and support?

I wanted to know if the factory roll bar is strong enough to support a roll over. If so, is it good enough to weld tubing, same diameter and wall thickness as the factory one, to tie both sides together in the rear, front, and add triangulation to both front and rear to make a complete roll cage.

Also, is it good enough to add a section of tubing, bracing both sides of the seatbelt pillars behind the front seats, to add a harness, just in case of a roll over.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you roll at highway speeds i dont think it holds up all that great.
Click image for larger version

Name:	crash4.jpg
Views:	9414
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	26454

but ive seen a few guys on their roof whislt wheeling and it still looked reasonably intact.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1659.jpg
Views:	3601
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	26455
Old 07-04-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Well, I'm aiming more toward wheeling roll overs, not highway rollovers. There is no desert wheeling here, straight rock crawling in wooded trails. So if I did roll over, at most, I'll be on my side or roof (1/2 turn), and that's pushing it.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

From a welding point i'd say if your not a qualtified welder stay away from welding on them. If you don't get 100% penetration your taking your life in your hands. I think you''d be lucky to find a qualified welder to weld on them as well. No one wants to take that kind of a chance. Not to mention you could probably void insurance claims if you get in an accident and the insurance company sees welding done on them.
My 2 cents.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

I also have been thinking about adding a crossbar brace for the rear of the roll bars on the top. I have a 2 dr.

Last edited by TORN; 07-05-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

I won't be doing the welding myself. I'll be taking to my guy who owns a shop and has been welding for YEARS. He's welded up rollcages forever so I know it'll be a good job.

I'm asking from a strength standpoint if the factory rollbar is strong enough to get "beefed" up or will it all buckle under one roll over?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I wanted to know if the factory roll bar is strong enough to support a roll over. If so, is it good enough to weld tubing, same diameter and wall thickness as the factory one, to tie both sides together in the rear, front, and add triangulation to both front and rear to make a complete roll cage.

Also, is it good enough to add a section of tubing, bracing both sides of the seatbelt pillars behind the front seats, to add a harness, just in case of a roll over.

Thanks.
If you have ever taken down your front windshield, you would know the answer to your question.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

Well, first problem would be that the JK doesn't have a true "roll bar". It's a "sport bar". The difference being that the bars are attached to the body and do not tie into the frame. As an example of what could be done, someone out there makes a "tie in" kit for TJ's that consist of a short length of appropriately bent tubing, with mounting points top and bottom, that connect the bottom of the sport bar to framerail.

The end result of this can have a huge affect on road noise, vibration, etc as you have just connected your body to your frame so for a daily driver it would be an issue.

This is a flopped TJ without the tie in kit

The whole drivers side of the Jeep was bent 6" to port. IMO, totaled. Whole body was tweaked heavily.

Another issue would be the strength of the factory steel. If you're serious about it, the sport bars could be removed and a whole new cage could be welded in. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by scottrock; 07-05-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

All the frame tie in the world wasn't going to help that Tj. Thats straight up crappy factory cage. Check out our Brute, same thing, even with added cage work.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

True, that was a very hard hit.

On your pic: OW! that had to hurt.

Quick Reply: Factory roll bar/roll cage good enough for triangulation and support?