Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Factory bumper chopped, winched, and hooped...

Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bertjnkns
Excellent job. I really want to stub mine. Question though, my plastic bumper has 4 bolts holding it. The bolts appear to be a few inches from the square parts of the bumper. It looks like If I cut it right next to the square parts I would be cutting my bolts off. How are y'all cutting the so short? Looks like you'd lose your bolt points? Am I missing something, guess I need to crawl back under and do some more figuring.

Oh and how do you weld the plastic? Soldering iron?

Thanks.
the people that are making their own stock stubby are cutting off the area where the bolts that hold the plastic part to the metal underwire/frame thing are beneath it. the plastic bumper part is sitting on there loosely, but will not fall off.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome Job!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice job...love the hoop.

What is the manufacturer's name of the TJ hoop?

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
the people that are making their own stock stubby are cutting off the area where the bolts that hold the plastic part to the metal underwire/frame thing are beneath it. the plastic bumper part is sitting on there loosely, but will not fall off.
I added threads on the inside and redrilled holes on the inside bumper. You can pick them up at the hardware store.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcnaught6

Actually, I learned from Woods, and so I will add his discription :

To mount the plastic bumper to the metal bumper, I used 1/4" T-Nuts. I was able to reach inside the plastic bumper to mount them. You should take a bolt and washer and seat them. Drilling the holes was very easy. With the bumper removed from the Jeep, Cut the metal bumper down to the correct size. Place the metal bumper inside the platic bumper. Drill 1/4" holes about half an inch in, from the end of the metal bumper (top and bottom, four bolts total). Then take a larger bit, and increase the 1/4" holes to fit the T-Nuts. The T-Nut specs say to use a 5/16" hole, but I used a slightly smaller size, for a snug fit.

Given this summary, there is a lot of grinding cutting and fitting, to get everything to fit tight. This took hours, not the minutes of the Doojer style stubby.

rfrogman's pics in the above post are a good illustration...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bertjnkns

Oh and how do you weld the plastic? Soldering iron?

Thanks.

I didn't weld any of it ! I used high strength epoxy and ran a wet finger over the "bead" to get a nice look...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bamoman
looks very nice....good work

what winch is that?

Why it's the durable and longlasting Chicago Electric! That's the reason for the hoop. To protect that expensive winch !!!

Seriously, I'm on a budget and do plan on upgrading the winch and possibly the bumper (love the shrockworks!) next spring/summer. This was all a huge experiment and a mild case of boredom/curiosity seeking. The 10,000 lb winch, winch plate, hoop, and hardware cost less than $500...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

damn looks nice! Where did you get the plastic to cover the sides?? And whats the deal with that wench is it cheap?? or where you kidding?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome job! looks like it should have looked from the factory!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

That looks great! I might have to look into this for the price. Nice work.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Meant to comment earlier: This is a perfect illustration of "Jeeper's Ingenuity."

You, sir, have quite a talent there... great job!

Quick Reply: Factory bumper chopped, winched, and hooped...