Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Fabbing Bumper ... any advice

Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres the one i made...

Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiJK
There are a couple of great looking bumpers on here! I'll attach a couple of pics of mine in the process in case it can help you design. I was kind of particular about the height of mine. I wanted it to be no lower, and stick out no further than the bottom edge of the front frame rails. But, I also wanted it to come up high enough so there would not be a gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the grill. Also, if you are doing a winch mount, there is a great little notch on the insides of both of the frame rails that can be used to support some weight of a winch mount. I found it easiest to start the framework, and get the "foundation" mounted up... then I worked on adding panels and finishing it off. Each "panel" was measured and cut to fit where it would go. I did find things not to be completely symmetrical on the Jeep so this at least made it look like it is. Good luck, and I hope these can help you...

That looks awesome!! but with the plate that high on your grill and that close. dont you find it difficult to remove your grill?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

BTW thats the same chop I did on my fenders I love it
Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reiper
I' m planning on fabbing my own front bumper, with a little (OK alot) help from the mechanic at work. I plan on starting a mock up with card board, after I decide which of the 5 or so designs, I've drawn, I like best.

For those of you who have experience fabbing parts any advice on what problems I might want to watch out for
Thanks in advance
measure twice, cut once!
check out mine....

Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the way I made my shackle mount really strong. I cut slots in the bumper then welded front and back and tied them into the back of the mounting location.

Nothing fancy but it worked ok!

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 07-02-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you fab the bumper and tack weld it up while mounted on the Jeep, are there any special precautions you need to take to not zap the electronics on the Jeep? This assumes Mig or Tig welding, not gas.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Here are some pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4400.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	26390   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4401.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	26391  
Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smopho
When you fab the bumper and tack weld it up while mounted on the Jeep, are there any special precautions you need to take to not zap the electronics on the Jeep?
No, this should not be a problem if you ground your welding close to where you are doing the work.

Originally Posted by Smopho
This assumes Mig or Tig welding, not gas.
Mig and tig welding involves gas most of the time, so I don't know what you mean by this statement?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tweba08
No, this should not be a problem if you ground your welding close to where you are doing the work.

Mig and tig welding involves gas most of the time, so I don't know what you mean by this statement?
I know Mig and Tig use shielding gas. I should have said welding electrically versus oxy acetalyne.

Quick Reply: Fabbing Bumper ... any advice