Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Fabbing Bumper ... any advice

Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always start by looking for mounting points. Use as many as you can. I've only done tube bumpers so far but would like to do a plate bumper.

Here is the last bumper I made.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of great looking bumpers on here! I'll attach a couple of pics of mine in the process in case it can help you design. I was kind of particular about the height of mine. I wanted it to be no lower, and stick out no further than the bottom edge of the front frame rails. But, I also wanted it to come up high enough so there would not be a gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the grill. Also, if you are doing a winch mount, there is a great little notch on the insides of both of the frame rails that can be used to support some weight of a winch mount. I found it easiest to start the framework, and get the "foundation" mounted up... then I worked on adding panels and finishing it off. Each "panel" was measured and cut to fit where it would go. I did find things not to be completely symmetrical on the Jeep so this at least made it look like it is. Good luck, and I hope these can help you...

Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah... I would use 3/16" as the thinnest steel to be considered. 1/4" if you want it to be bullet proof (I even have parts that are 3/8" but that is total overkill). Also, dont worry about rust... Put a good flapper wheel on your grinder and grind it all down before a good coating of a rust preventative/sealer...
Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

These are sweet bumpers! Has anyone seen a full width homemade? This is what I'm thinking of going with, possibly a modular type that way I know the angles will be the same on the ends.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

nice to see a lot of help here so i'll add my 0.02 cents. as said before, keep in mind that you only want to build it once and for all the right way. what i did is scan to web for ideas and give it my own style. don't be shy on gussets and the quality of the steel. if you 'r thinkin of making a tube style bumper, i would get the bends done my a mandrell bender rather than do what i did and cut triangles out of tubing and weld them together to make a bend, the more you weld the more you weaken the steel because of heat. and once you finished your product, paint it with POR ( paint on rust ) paint. its almost un-chippable and will keep your creation looking like new for those who may want you to build another for them.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

here is another custom one for you to consider

Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice bumper white widow!!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default HomeBuilt

Someone was asking about a homebuilt fullwidth:

It was my first attempt at a bumper, its nice, but not nice enough. the tubes are 1.5" dia, which is too small to look right, winch area & hook area aren't great.
Oh, there was $75 worth of material in this one, not including painting.

My second one will be more like LoDs:

It will be a mid-width, using the stock fogs & backed with a 1/4" winch plate. Recovery points are laminated 1/4", that will be TIG welded, once the electrician shows up to run service for the new welder.
Bumper face is 7ga (.179").....there are a few kinks to work out, but the weather has broken just enough to really sort them out.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice bumpers fellas! I'm going to try and work on my cardboard mock up tomorrow, hopefully I'll have some time.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Here it is

Hope this works

The squares represent the shackles and the circles are the fog lights they are in different positions and the hoop is angled forward and backward... let me know what you think

Quick Reply: Fabbing Bumper ... any advice