Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Fabbing Bumper ... any advice

Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabbing Bumper ... any advice

I' m planning on fabbing my own front bumper, with a little (OK alot) help from the mechanic at work. I plan on starting a mock up with card board, after I decide which of the 5 or so designs, I've drawn, I like best.

For those of you who have experience fabbing parts any advice on what problems I might want to watch out for
Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Home Fab

I am In the same boat. I just got a nice chunk of 2/4 ID X 5'1". It worked out perfecto. I will be posting a few pics when I find out how to.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely keep us wannabes in the loop. My buddy just got a welder and we've got nothing but a stock JK, bad ideas, and too much time on our hands.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I designed my front with beer boxes. It tends to increase your possibilities.

Take your time and envision what you want. I had as many hours in my bumper as I put in at work per week.

Judge your appearance and functionality. You want to leave room for future modifications (body lift, larger tires, winch, etc.). Start with a basic platform that you are confortable with, then build on it. A good foundation makes a great bumper.

The beer boxes are a true story.

Good luck
Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

This is my front bumper that I fab'd. I like to get the mounting decided right after having a image in my head of what I want it to look like. Then I got the center section tacked in place and worked my way out to the sides tacking as I went. Then I removed and finished welding.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Things that come to mind:

1) Get good quality steel (no rust dents dings) or you may not be happy with the end result. This includes not clamping it too hard or dropping it on the ground and dinging it. If you go as far as this, you can finish everything up by sanding it and painting it gloss black and it would look good as something you'd get from the manufacturer.
2) Make sure any clevises or pull points are near your frame. Do not just simply weld them to the front of the bumper weld them to the front and back and/or have them double as your frame mounting points
3) Any bends you plan to make, for instance if it is 1/4 thick steel, turn the bumper over, cut maybe 1/8th out of the back and then bend it at this location. makes it easy to bend without big machines and it keeps you from having an extra weld joint
4) Dont go too heavy. Rather design smart. Personally my bumper is going to be 1/8th but only because it would be good enough for one hard impact then id just make another one. This may not be an option for the hardcore crowd.
5) It is going to rust after a period if time, maybe a year or two so paint it in a manner that you can do touch ups quite easily
Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by metaulic
Things that come to mind:

1) Get good quality steel (no rust dents dings) or you may not be happy with the end result. This includes not clamping it too hard or dropping it on the ground and dinging it. If you go as far as this, you can finish everything up by sanding it and painting it gloss black and it would look good as something you'd get from the manufacturer.
2) Make sure any clevises or pull points are near your frame. Do not just simply weld them to the front of the bumper weld them to the front and back and/or have them double as your frame mounting points
3) Any bends you plan to make, for instance if it is 1/4 thick steel, turn the bumper over, cut maybe 1/8th out of the back and then bend it at this location. makes it easy to bend without big machines and it keeps you from having an extra weld joint
4) Dont go too heavy. Rather design smart. Personally my bumper is going to be 1/8th but only because it would be good enough for one hard impact then id just make another one. This may not be an option for the hardcore crowd.
5) It is going to rust after a period if time, maybe a year or two so paint it in a manner that you can do touch ups quite easily
x2

i will make mine in CAD and make a sample in cardboard , after i will spend some money to get the steel laser cut to exact dimensions , tack weld , check for fittement , then weld all , grind all angle smooth sandblast + powdercoat

same for rear bumper + tire carrier

it should cost less than 500$ to get both bumper made
a near 1800$ economy to get a good winch
Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default my bumper

I made my bumper out of 2x6 3/16" thick tubing. I used 8" flat bar that is 3/8" thick to mount the winch on. I got my local machine shop to bend the pipes. I welded and cut everything in my shop. I added gussets under the plate for strength and made a bracket to tie it back to the frame on the inside under the grill. I will have to get final pics with it painted and with winch on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0956.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	20483   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0952.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	20484  
Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get started so keep an eye on this thread. I'll post pictures of the cardboard version to see what you think, that is of course after I start it.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default my finished product

Here it is painted and mounted with winch on it. You have to overlook all the bugs on the front and the weenie tires on it. I am looking for tires and wheels but cant make up my mind. The only thing i would change is the size of the center hoop but that is all my local shop could bend. All together I have about $250 in the bumper so it is way cheaper than a store bought.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0961.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	20558   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0965.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	20559  

Quick Reply: Fabbing Bumper ... any advice