Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

OR FAB tire/can broken

Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDIT: after reading both sides, i have changed my stance on this issue, I like my OR-FAB tire carrier and the people that represent the company.

Last edited by asjackman; 08-18-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Based on the pic, I don't think it will be able to hold a 37" tire. Which stinks because I am trying to decide between this combo'd with an ARB/PJ rear bumper or just get the LOD rear bumper w/tire carrier. I have time to decide which to get, but I want to run 37" tires, so I am thinking OF may not be the best option for that size tire.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats definitely a defect. You should be able to put much more weight than you had on there without it breaking like that. I have seen the same thing happen on the OR FAB carrier that was on a TJ. The guy had it re-welded.
They should replace yours for free. I agree with the other poster that hopefully they realize by giving this guy the runaround instead of replacing it that they are loosing a lot of business.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by JKMoses
On November 26 of last year I bought my OR-FAB tire/can from an official domestic reseller (4WeelTeam) where I am. From printed instructions and learning from our Write-ups the OR-FAB tire/can was installed (thanks to brent_f70) on January 25, making some improvements on February 28 (thanks to Dr McNinja).

My JK is my daily car and everything was well on road and offroad until July 16th when I was driving on the highway and by the rear mirror I saw a rare balancing movement in the tire. When it was available I stopped and checked the tire and then I saw that my OR-FAB tire/can was broken!!

I went to my home took some pictures of broken pieces also the dented tailgate and finally removed the structure. Really I do not know what happened it; I used my OR-FAB tire/can on offroad several times without any troubles.

Is there someone with a similar issue???

I reported this to 4WheelTeam people and they told me that they will talk to OR-FAB people.

Sorry for an extensive text but I wanted use it to say thanks again to everyone who helped me with good advices.

Hi All,

I understand people's concern regarding JKMoses post, and I completely agree that a company needs to stand behind it's product. I would suggest to all that know Performance Automotive Group, OR-Fab, and me to not believe everything you read. Mr. JKMoses has some serious issues with the truth.

We learned of this issue a couple of weeks ago. It took a couple of days to get a phone number from this individual that worked. Once we were able to speak with this individual it was very easy to determine the cause of failure, and in doing so we also made certain the he too understood the root cause (which makes him sound informed in some of his posts on this thread). I've maintained the best picture in his post. He did not have his tire anchored against the carrier, when he states that he did, he is not telling you the truth. We educated him to this requirement.

As for standing behind our product. We told Mr. JKMoses that we would ship him a new carrier frame at no charge, all he would have to do is pay the freight. We have sold thousands of these carriers for YJs, TJs, and now JKs. Not all of our carriers have been perfect. When we have had a defective product we have gone out of our way to make it right so that the customer is compensated for their troubles. This is why we have a good track record with PR. Mr. JKMoses falls into a different category in that he caused the failure with his own handywork.

The reason I was slow to respond to this post, I just got off the Rubicon trail and am sitting in Minden, NV doing this reply.

Eddie thanks for the "heads up".

Yates
Old 08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wouldn't he have to have the spacer to get the stock wheel to fit with that tire? So, wouldn't the tire would still have been snug against the carrier? I am just curious. You can see it behind the wheel in this pic:

Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Chukronos
Wouldn't he have to have the spacer to get the stock wheel to fit with that tire? So, wouldn't the tire would still have been snug against the carrier? I am just curious. You can see it behind the wheel in this pic:

Yes he would have had the fittings that would work with the stock tire. Can't explain why he made the mods to the kit he did. You can't tell the tire is snug against the carrier. When I get back to Phoenix I'll post the email I received, and my response. I have no idea why this guy is unhappy with our attempt to satisfy his situation.

Yates
Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe it is just me but you purchased this thing like a year ago. Most products carry a 30 - 90 warranty..... but a year? you think a company is just gonna go oh my bad let me give ya another one.... if that was the case we would always have new Jeeps...."Hey my 2007 JK broke down, it has 36001 miles on it" "Can I have a new one?"
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chukronos
Based on the pic, I don't think it will be able to hold a 37" tire. Which stinks because I am trying to decide between this combo'd with an ARB/PJ rear bumper or just get the LOD rear bumper w/tire carrier. I have time to decide which to get, but I want to run 37" tires, so I am thinking OF may not be the best option for that size tire.
The pic of mine in this pic....is a 37, and a very heavy 37 at that. I do not carry 2 gas cans, I carry one gas can that is about 1/2 full and an ammo box with dog food and dog supplies mine is very sturdy with a 37 back there. That break was (as Yates says) caused by the tire being too far out and having "some room to move" obviously not as much about the weight as it is about the movement and leverage of that movement.
In my opinion the only negative about having a 37 back there is I cant see anything smaller than a tractor trailer and now I need to install a back up camera

I wouldn't worry about putting a 37 back there just make sure it is SNUG...as you can see in the pics mine is so tight that the tread is actually molding around the bars on the carrier.

Yates...Thanks for clearing the air, this is a great product and I would hate for people to think one failure regardless of the reason would cause people to doubt this product and the people that stand behind it.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

damn that 37 looks enormous on the OrFab
Old 08-17-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Let me make it easy on you. I'll pay the shipping and they can send it to me. I will be running 37s soon, I will let you know how it works out after a year's use.

Quick Reply: OR FAB tire/can broken