Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expo One Saved My Life - Accident

Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you also check to see if your seat is bent. I bent my in a car accident before.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi

Awwwww....what a freekin' drag Skip.... Sure glad you're ok bud...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be an advertisement for the toughness of that bumper!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

New rear bumper next on the list.

Glad everyone is okay.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hindsight
If the MPAC rack is bent...I will send you a new one!

Lets see some pictures of how the stuff stayed on your tailgate (or not)

Glad you are OK

Doc

Awe jeez Doc! That's aweful generous of you! I'm going to climb back there tonight and get some pics. I didn't last night as... well, I needed some time to decompress.

Thanks to all who've wished me well: Echo, AK4Dave, Doc, JKRockStomer, LoadBreak, Wire_Dawg, etc. You all rock. I'm glad where such a tight nit community.

I'll keep you all posted as the repairs are performed to get Sunshine back up to par. I might have to change my JK's name to Jeep-A-Sarus as that's what all my co-workers have started calling it after seeing the pictures.

I'm doing ok today. My necks a bit stiff which is to be expected and if it doesn't improve tomorrow I'll take off sick and go see my PCP.

Here's what I know so far from my own inspection:

Tail gate is shot, will need to be replaced. Paint actually came off on the inside.
MPAC rack will likely need to be replaced as well as it was bolted to the rack. (I'll take pics for you tonight Doc) Tire carrier appears fine but looks out of alignment due to being bolted to the gate and being held closer to the vehicle than expected. Rear window frame will need to be replaced as it is SLIGHTLY bent. Rear bumper will need to be repainted/powder coated. Exhaust will likely need to be replaced as the tail pipe is split.

I might have frame damage. I don't know enough about it to make a judgement call on it. The trailer hitch looks fine and is bolted to the chasis with 4 2" grade 8 bolts to my understanding. ESP has not kicked in so I don't think the rear axel is out of true at all.

I contacted my insurance company State Farm. They told me I'd have to pay my $500 deductable to get it fixed through them. Once the fault of the accident has been determined they would recover the repair costs from the insurance company involved and reimburse me for the deductable. Could take as little as 3 months, could be years. My alternative is to go directly to the insurance of the Dodge driver.

I called his insurance (USAA) and filed a claim with them. They're going to send out an adjuster to look at my JK sometime this week. They're waiting on a 3rd statement which I'm assuming is the Liberty driver. I'm hoping by going directly through them they'll be more willing to work with me to avoid the costs of having my insurance sue them for the damages to my JK.

Something I'm wondering about is most of the damage was to after market parts. How do they calculate replacement costs? Are body shops used to working on 3rd party parts? If they do have to replace my exhaust can I ask they use a MBRP or other exhaust if I'm willing to pay the difference?

I'd like to give a special thanks to Doc @ Springtail Solutions and Sarah @ Expedition One. I appreicate both of your generous offers! Expect to see some pics of my JK on Expedition Ones site and possibly Doc's.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

that stinks man, i got in a little fender bender with my plastic bumper and it was shot, i think ill be going with the expo one rear bumper now. should be in some commerical or something for them
Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the Liberty might look better now!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Man that liberty is

DEAD! Well that answered the question of what I am doing to me Jeep next!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Skippman
I contacted my insurance company State Farm. They told me I'd have to pay my $500 deductable to get it fixed through them. Once the fault of the accident has been determined they would recover the repair costs from the insurance company involved and reimburse me for the deductable. Could take as little as 3 months, could be years. My alternative is to go directly to the insurance of the Dodge driver.

I called his insurance (USAA) and filed a claim with them. They're going to send out an adjuster to look at my JK sometime this week. They're waiting on a 3rd statement which I'm assuming is the Liberty driver. I'm hoping by going directly through them they'll be more willing to work with me to avoid the costs of having my insurance sue them for the damages to my JK.

Something I'm wondering about is most of the damage was to after market parts. How do they calculate replacement costs? Are body shops used to working on 3rd party parts? If they do have to replace my exhaust can I ask they use a MBRP or other exhaust if I'm willing to pay the difference?
As far as insurance goes, you shouldn't have to involve your insurance company since you weren't at fault. Since the other person was at fault, their insurance company will accept liability for the accident once they get a formal statement from the other driver. This way, you won't have to deal with the deductible, rental, etc. Just make sure you have the accident report from your local PD.

On the aftermarket items, I'm just guessing at this, but I'd think that they'd have to replace the damaged items with LIKE parts. The insurance adjuster that appraises the damage will make note of the make/model of the items and the body shop that will eventually get assigned to do the work will probably pull up MSRP of the damaged aftermarket items. Most places should be able to do what you mentioned about the exhaust - as far as you pay the difference. Sometimes, depending on what the stock one costs new, there may not be much difference for you to pay.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

USAA is supposed to be the best, so hopefully dealing direct with them will be good. They should replace your aftermarket parts. Hopefully you have receipts for them, otherwise they'll have to replace with OEM stuff which can often times cost as much if not more.

As for getting other parts installed during repair, HECK YEA! On my KJ, I had some front end damage that was a real blessing in desguise (because I lived through it!). I wanted an ARB. The OEM stuff was expensive. I got the ARB and had it shipped to the body shop. They painted and installed it. I had to pay a few extra bucks for labor due to the prep work, but I tihnk the results were WELL worth it:

more pics:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325889/14

Quick Reply: Expo One Saved My Life - Accident