Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

easiest welding style?

Old 06-28-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiCajun
I've got 32 years as a welding inspector/metalurgist.

Meatlurgy...... Booooo Thats he one thing I hated. But it is a very important part of welding.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if u can take classes at 16?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath
i wonder if u can take classes at 16?
before i retired, i was involved in working with the local high schools, our contractors and the community college to help kids in high school that were not college bound. we arranged for them to recieve free training in whatever trade skills they could qualify for by testing. if they excelled in their training them we would hire them when they graduated from high school. check with your local community college or go stick your head in some welding shops and see if you can get a job where you can learn while you are at work as a semi-apprentice.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 PM
JK Freak

I weld underwater. Been a commercial diver for 12 yrs.
Nothing to it you just switch polarity.
P I G..!! (positvie is ground)

Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 PM
JK Freak

If my goal for learning to weld was to do bodywork on cars as a hobby, would MIG still be the best and easiest? I am not even sure if those two go together.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

here's a useful site, gives you the basics of mig welding. i had some more practise goes today and it turned out not bad. took a while to get the settings right but it turned out well in the end.
hXXp://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm
replace XX with tt
Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I just spent the good part of an hour reading that page...

GOOD INFO!!!
Now I really want a welder.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

You have received great advice from the folks here about welding.

I have been stick welding this past year at my high school. I am the principal not a student but when I go in the shop I am the student. We have no less than 10 certified welders in the shop. I can weld (stick stuff together with good penetration) now with both stick and mig. I would not call myself a welder though. I have seen the level of welding that is necessary to be called a welder and I am not even close to that level. That said, I can build projects now that I would not have thought possible just a year ago. Go for it!!!

The mig was much easier to get good results. I didn't get to mig until I had decent welds with the stick. This was good practice for me and I learned better control and speed. Preparation of the metal and understanding the welding process is very important. The skills involved with welding needs to be learned, practiced, and evaluated. You may think you are doing just fine when the real welder shows you flaws that may make the welds weak or at least inferior.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

thx for all of this advice hope fully i will learn how to mig weld next summer if i can find a place to teach
Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
If you can dig boogers out of your nose, you can mig weld great with a little practice. Nuthin to it.
Sweet, cause I have a Lincoln welder I'm getting ready to putter with. I can pick boogers like a pro .....so does that mean I'll be welding like a pro too? Got some tube doors I'm wanting to fab cause I'm too cheap to buy them right now

Quick Reply: easiest welding style?