Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

easiest welding style?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkob1060
I need to learn how to weld under water
you acn go get the guys of jaws 4 and get tehm to teach u
Old 06-26-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned how to Tig weld first then Mig. The engineer who taught me said he wanted me to learn to be clean first. I guess he thought if I learned to Mig first I wouldn't be so meticulous while Tig welding. Although I prefer to Tig weld I actually bought a Mig first for my garage. I want a Tig and a plasma cutter also but I figured for the type of welding I'll be doing at home the Mig will work just fine for now. My advice is if you don't have anyone to teach you then take a course on it before you buy your own welder. If you plan on doing a lot of projects don't buy a flux core welder either.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bruised
I learned how to Tig weld first then Mig. The engineer who taught me said he wanted me to learn to be clean first. I guess he thought if I learned to Mig first I wouldn't be so meticulous while Tig welding. Although I prefer to Tig weld I actually bought a Mig first for my garage. I want a Tig and a plasma cutter also but I figured for the type of welding I'll be doing at home the Mig will work just fine for now. My advice is if you don't have anyone to teach you then take a course on it before you buy your own welder. If you plan on doing a lot of projects don't buy a flux core welder either.
I liked all of that! I was just looking into a class here at the community college.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mig welding is the EASIEST any one can do it with a little practice .

I highly recommend taking a welding class at a local community college
They will probable start you off with Oxy-Acetylene welding This may seem boring and useless but it is a good simple way to learn the basics like puddle, heat and filler control these are skilles needed for all electric welding .

Mel
Old 06-27-2009, 01:44 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Bruised

I learned Tig first as well and am glad I did, it is also my preference.

Mig is definitely easier though. Stick welding is pretty easy to, but to do it properly is a bit of an art form.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by evolution
Mig welding is the EASIEST any one can do it with a little practice .

I highly recommend taking a welding class at a local community college
They will probable start you off with Oxy-Acetylene welding This may seem boring and useless but it is a good simple way to learn the basics like puddle, heat and filler control these are skilles needed for all electric welding .

Mel
I would definately have an edge in the class I want to take... I have been watching my dad braize copper with oxy-acetylene torches for 20+ years!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mike536

Anybody can mig weld..... only some can do it right.

Boy, ain't that the truth. I work as a machinist and have a certified welder at my disposal for any welding I need done. I've seen welders come through our shop who thought they were the best welder the world has ever seen and in reality, couldn't make a good weld if their life depended on it. A really good welder is a gem to have in a shop. I started to learn welding as part of my work and soon found there is more to it than first appearances. If you have a local community college near you they very likely have welding instruction. Our local comm. college has an excellent program taught by a long time certified welder. You will start with the basics like heating and cutting and progress through mig, stick, tig, etc. as you learn. Too many people think anyone can pick up a welding torch and weld. It ain't that easy and that is why the welding is an apprenticable trade. Sorry for the soap box talk, i'm done.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

I personally think that TIG welding is the easyeist form of welding. I also think a TIG is the most versital welder you can get for a garage. Most machines can TIG and arc weld and you can get a wire feeder so you can do MIG. Just sayin, If it was me, I would go for the TIG. I already know how to use it though.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got 32 years as a welding inspector/metalurgist. I've seen alot of welders come and go and even helped some of them find new careers . My advice is as above. Go to your local community college and sign up. Often the instructor will let you work on a "project" (yeah, like a bumper maybe) and most of the time you can find the metal you need there at the school for free. around here a lot of the industrial plants donate scrap metal to the welding school. good luck. Oh yeah, MIG is the way to go....once you get a steady hand, arm and travel coordination try TIG. Good luck.

EDIT: I should mention also that there are other skill sets needed to be a successful welder. Math, algebra, Geometry, mechanical skills. hand tools, power tools, air and electric, personal skills, communication skills, organizational skills and not afraid to get dirty.

Last edited by RubiCajun; 06-27-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great responses guys, I learned a bit. I've tried to stick weld before, it is tough! I either burn thru what I'm trying to weld or get my stick stuck!

I'm gonna take a course . . .. never can get to edumacated, especially in these things practically useful. . .

Quick Reply: easiest welding style?