Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

easiest welding style?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default easiest welding style?

just wondering what the easiest welding style is i want to learn how to weld maybe over next summer or something
the local welder is 65$ hour and i got ideas man

also what about plasme cutters can the y cut off ur fingers
tthe way i understand it is in order for it to work it heats the metal and it cuts it with the plasma produced from that or something like that
Old 06-26-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mig welding and no, they burn off your fingers. seriously go to the library and get a book on welding. thumb through and it will be a great help.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

what is mig welding
is that liek a flame welder or do u use rods i understand what welding is
but then again i thought they use to use welders to brais fish so...
hope fully my parents will get me a class next summmer
my dad wants to learn to
Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Welding 101

It all depends on how much experience you have. Mig is probably the easiest to learn if you just want to "stick" metal together. Not really to worried about "full Penetration"(yes I said Penetration). Not saying you can't get it with mig because you can..... Bla bla. I'm getting off topic!! A.D.D. lol

M.I.G = Metal inert Gas. The short and skinny is you have a whip and wire comes straight out the middle of it with a shielding gas around it to help protect the weld that you are producing. I'm guessing that you would be welding steel. Thats a whole lot easier to start with.

Anybody can mig weld..... only some can do it right.

I'm sure other people will chime in with more info.

Just a quick note i've been welding for about 7-8 years all aspectsof welding. Mig, Tig, Stick, and flux core and also all positions flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead. I'm on my advanced welding right now Armor Plate. Now thats a whole new can worms!! LOL

Hope this helps a little

Forgot to mention Plasma cutters. like someone said the plasma burns your fingers....... it's the high pressure air that blows away the charred skin and bones!!!LOLOL

Last edited by Mike536; 06-26-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike536
It all depends on how much experience you have. Mig is probably the easiest to learn if you just want to "stick" metal together. Not really to worried about "full Penetration"(yes I said Penetration). Not saying you can't get it with mig because you can..... Bla bla. I'm getting off topic!! A.D.D. lol

M.I.G = Metal inert Gas. The short and skinny is you have a whip and wire comes straight out the middle of it with a shielding gas around it to help protect the weld that you are producing. I'm guessing that you would be welding steel. Thats a whole lot easier to start with.

Anybody can mig weld..... only some can do it right.

I'm sure other people will chime in with more info.

Just a quick note i've been welding for about 7-8 years all aspectsof welding. Mig, Tig, Stick, and flux core and also all positions flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead. I'm on my advanced welding right now Armor Plate. Now thats a whole new can worms!! LOL

Hope this helps a little

Forgot to mention Plasma cutters. like someone said the plasma burns your fingers....... it's the high pressure air that blows away the charred skin and bones!!!LOLOL
that could potentialy hurt if u wore gloves and vent mask and shield does it protect u from this and all the fumes that come with welding?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

3 things:

1) here's some excellent resources, not that I'm a huge Miller fanboy: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-your-skills/

2) MIG (GMAW) is the easiest

3) Plasma cuts via errosion. The torch works by super heating / ionizing air into a plasma stream and superheating the material under the tip and literally blows the material away. Catch, the material has to carry current. It'll cut aluminum and stainless which normal flame cutting won't.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can dig boogers out of your nose, you can mig weld great with a little practice. Nuthin to it.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
If you can dig boogers out of your nose, you can mig weld great with a little practice. Nuthin to it.
i use to be able to do that pretty darn well
Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sn4cktime
3 things:

1) here's some excellent resources, not that I'm a huge Miller fanboy: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-your-skills/

2) MIG (GMAW) is the easiest

3) Plasma cuts via errosion. The torch works by super heating / ionizing air into a plasma stream and superheating the material under the tip and literally blows the material away. Catch, the material has to carry current. It'll cut aluminum and stainless which normal flame cutting won't.
wow that site is a lot to think about thx that will prolly ansere alot of my question

one of me frineds all ready knows how to weld
he does a lot of set build ing for his school
he did one of those spiral stair cases with a little help
Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to learn how to weld under water

Quick Reply: easiest welding style?