Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Duramax diesel in a JK?

Old 05-19-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duramax diesel in a JK?

I'm just curious. I see Hemi conversions are common. A complete duramax diesel is in the neighborhood of 850 pounds. I just sold an Outlaw 10.5 69 Camaro with a very modded duramax diesel. A gasser guy bought the chassis, so now I have my motor.. Hmm.. Performance wise, it would make even a modded hemi seam weak. Economy wise, it would be very impressive. Again, I'm just curious if anyone out there has tried it..
In reality, I know it's alot of weight sitting on the nose of a chassis that's probably not so strong. It's a sweet thought though..
Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been involved with and seen several Cummins 3.9 4bt twin turbos in tj's and yj's and I wish I could stuff MY 5.9 in my JK. Problem is is that the 6bt weighs in @ 1175Lbs .... Then again my Dodge has Dana 60 front to hold the flippin thing up and 80 rear to deal with 1K ftlbs lolz that rules out my dream swap.

The 4bt when tuned is an awesome package as size, weight and output make it ideal for Jeep swaps. I have not seen a LBZ or LLY stuffed into a Jeep(LB 7's need not apply) yet and I am willing to bet that the problem is frame width up front on the Jeep. The D-Max block is wide at the bottom when compared to the 5.7 and 6.1 blocks that are commonly swapped in.

Hell it sure would be a bad ass swap tho .... no make that a king bad ass swap. A wee bit of crossmembering may be needed to help nullify the twisting of the jeep into itself lol.

This is by far the cleanest tt 4bt install I have yet to see and I believe it put down 207hp, 449 tq that weekend on the dyno.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the 4BT swaps in Jeeps. The only problem with that swap is the motor vibrates sooo much and it's loud.. I've raced diesels since 99.. You just can't beat the power/efficiency/longevity of a diesel if built correctly. One of my last daily driver dodges ran 131.7 mph in the quarter on street tires.. It did that with 20'' wheels as well.. Best time was an 11.1. It was easily a mid to lower 10 second truck if it would have ever hooked up. As far as I know, no one has been close to that time with a 2wd on normal street tires. I've also had two half ton dodges with 12 valve cummins motors.. Then there are several others that ran 10's, 11's, 12's, and one that would have run 9's if it wouldn't have broken every time out.. It ended up rolling at the strip..

I wish I knew of a conversion shop here in FL that would be up for something like this.. My dmax motor would be capable of around 800 hp at the wheels without nitrous. Of course, in a jeep I would tune it down to near stock for the most part.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here as I have been into Diesel perf scince 1999 (6.5 turbo turd) and bought my cummins (In a dodge wrapper) in 2001 (still have). And from going from that as my Daily driver (9200 lbs @ 13.1 Quad cab duallie) to my seemingly ridiculously short wheelbase 2dr JK that is slow as balls sure takes some getting used to.

The 3.9 rattles a teeny bit but who cares? Real engines rattle, Vibrations .. again it's a bonus massage built in If you stay away from SOLID mounts like soooo many guys do and actually take the time to gussett and setup your swap the right way then true cummins engine mounts can be used and the vibration is nil transmitted through the chassis.

A 5.9 Common rail cummins will fit as AEV proved that to be when the JK's came out if noise is a true issue. I am just left as the cumins is such a flipping tall engine as when compared to a duramax a decent lift will be needed just to get the oil pan away from the front axle and to compensate for the addtl weight.

Quick Reply: Duramax diesel in a JK?