Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Dropped hard top during self install today

Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im wondering if Geico would cover it ? maybe somebody hit it with something and I could claim it ??
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have repaired 2 hardtops...one my fault and one purchased that way. I used white MarineTex epoxy. It is used to repair boat hulls and it works great for a hardtop. Strong but sandable and if you use the white, the interior even matches. Seems to take paint well. Worked well for me.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by glivigni
Im wondering if Geico would cover it ? maybe somebody hit it with something and I could claim it ??
Yeah, personally I'd avoid that like the plague. Come back to bite you in the ass somehow for sure. Good luck with the fix. Looks like you have gotten some solid options.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will attempt the fix tomorrow night .. Gonna hit a few boat shops and lowes to look for some of the suggested fixes .. If all fails I will just get another soft top and call it a day.. Once again thank you to all for the tips .. I will post when I succeed or fail LoL
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good Luck

That sucks! I always remove mine solo, and I did lift it off center once and almost dropped the end just like that! Freaked me out. I am a little slower with it now.

Sounds like some good suggestions, good luck with the fix.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by glivigni
Here is the funny part.......... I just sold the soft top two months ago !!! LmAo
Oh no...!!! Sorry to hear that....I bet you were sayin'....." Well that just figures"....
Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

ouch that sucks
Old 07-05-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Same thing happened to me. Any luck with fixing it yet? I am curious to see what you used and how it has turned out so far.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It is a special kind of fiberglass called SMC, or sheet molded compound. Google that for info on properly repairing it--not all fiberglass materials work right with it.
Mark's right. SMC is not the usual fiberglass.

Check out Urethane Supply Company products "Insta-Weld" and "SMC Hardset Filler".

I cracked a corner of my hardtop and plan to try this stuff out before I pull out the hard top this Fall.

h ttp://www.urethanesupply.com/index.php

Quick Reply: Dropped hard top during self install today