Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Dropped hard top during self install today

Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Dropped hard top during self install today

Well if your doing your own hard top on/off alone alot, make sure you got your center of gravity correct or back it will go behind the head LOL ! Any suggestions on how to repair this will be much appreciated . [IMG][/IMG] ... [IMG][/IMG] ... [IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, is it repairable?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4whelin
Ouch, is it repairable?
Im hoping it is .. The right side is worst, but I was wondering if there were some tape or something I could use to give it its sturdyness back then sand and paint
Old 06-01-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

I would think you would have to fiberglass it and then sand it down and repaint.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd talk to a good auto upholstery shop that works with fiberglass.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

My dad backed into the winch part of his hardtop hoist and punched a 2" hole in the top. He had a collision shop fix it for him and it looks like nothing ever happened!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing dropped it on my jeep, unbalanced on a ratchet strap. No damage to the jeep but a did the same thing you did to the drivers side in the middle . Nut cracked as much as yours.

To repair mine I sanded the are around the cracked section. I applied bondo over the cracked area. Sanded, reapply more bondo. By the 3rd time i had a sound smooth area.

I used a rattle can flat black paint on the area. After it was drying for about 30 mins or so, I took a household paint roller to give it texture. The flat black doesn't match perfectly but once I use 303 on it, you can't tell at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve_bk
I did the same thing dropped it on my jeep, unbalanced on a ratchet strap. No damage to the jeep but a did the same thing you did to the drivers side in the middle . Nut cracked as much as yours.

To repair mine I sanded the are around the cracked section. I applied bondo over the cracked area. Sanded, reapply more bondo. By the 3rd time i had a sound smooth area.

I used a rattle can flat black paint on the area. After it was drying for about 30 mins or so, I took a household paint roller to give it texture. The flat black doesn't match perfectly but once I use 303 on it, you can't tell at all.
I will have to try that out . I really dont care if the color matches perfect , I just want it to stay in tact and not crumble or snap off .
Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

OUCH, sorry to see that but that is why I always... always just wait for a friend.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try marine putty , easy to use and strong as a mofo. Fixed a 4in. Gouge on my top. Got mine at Lowes. Just don't mold it too thick, you'll be sanding for hours if you do.

Quick Reply: Dropped hard top during self install today