Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Drake hood hold-downs

Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drake hood hold-downs

Actually got round to doing the install today - nice easy swap (about 40mins to complete) and this sucker ain't moving. Also got round to doing the grill mod while I was feeling like working

Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a quick question, did you go from the oem to the Drake or was it aftermarket to Drake? Reason I ask is the oem are a PITA to remove so wondered if that played into the time it took or not. Looks great!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi

looks great!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like it
Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Just a quick question, did you go from the oem to the Drake or was it aftermarket to Drake? Reason I ask is the oem are a PITA to remove so wondered if that played into the time it took or not. Looks great!
OEM to the Drake. The only real pita was the fender mount on the driver side. Hard to reach the nut inside the fender. Passenger side was easier coz I took the air cleaner box out to get a bit more room.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

googled and found this i only read this first pot
Drake Hood Hold Down Issue, owners please read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We pride ourselves on releasing what we feel is the best product on the market and something that is quality made. We thought we had that nailed with these hood hold downs and have been selling them. We also stand behind our product 100% because of these feelings and when issues pop up no matter how big or small we try to take care of the customer and make changes moving forward to better our product.

With that said, we are unfortunately finding issues with the current inventory of hood hold downs. This involves you guys that have purchased them.

We do a lot of testing on our prototype parts before we go to production to catch any problems before it's too late. We found issues with rusting on the prototype samples. This caused us to make a few changes to correct this issue, after these changes the hood hold downs passed our salt spray testing and we actually still have a set on my parents jeep that's somewhere in florida right now rust free. At that point we went to production on them.

Well, it looks like the production parts are having issues with rust even with these changes. Because of this we are stopping all sales of our hood hold downs until we get a new product in. The lower bolt on our prototype pieces is stainless steel and does not rust. Unfortunately we think the material used for this bolt got switched out on us for the production run and it's not stainless. Also, the nickel plating on the sleeves isn't holding up as it was shown to in salt spray testing. We are going to switch this over to stainless as well. Currently the sleeves are the only pieces that are not supposed to be stainless. Well, we're making changes to ensure 100% of the parts are stainless.

So... What's this mean for customers that already have purchased? We will be doing one of two things... We will either refund your purchase or we will swap out your parts. Either way it's handled we will send call tags to have your old parts returned on our dime. Essentially we will be swapping out virtually everything except for the turnbuckle and rod ends itself.

We'd rather be proactive and tackle this before all the negative talking starts! This is an issue with our parts and we will own up to it and do what we can to the best of our means to make things right. We had our first known issue pop up middle of last week and started investigating what was happening right away. We had a 2nd incident this morning so at this point we're putting everything on hold and getting it corrected.

If you already currently have these, keep an eye out for how we are going to deal with making things right. We stand behind our products 100% and if we made a mistake we'll own up to it and make sure you guys get taken care of.

We're working out the details of how we're going to handle this today. We will have a timeline for when replacement parts will be ready to send out for current customers hopefully tomorrow. I will post info as it becomes available to me.

If any of you guys are members on other jeep forums and hear of issues, please feel free to point them in the direction of this thread! I would really appreciate it.

We do appologize for this because we realise this is a pain in the butt for you guys but like I've said a couple times, we'll do what we need to in order to get you guys taken care of.

Thanks,
Khris
Drake Off Road

Last edited by RAINSTATEBEAR; 10-01-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

pretty cool. looks like your ready for the track now.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAINSTATEBEAR
googled and found this i only read this first pot
Drake Hood Hold Down Issue, owners please read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We pride ourselves on releasing what we feel is the best product on the market and something that is quality made. We thought we had that nailed with these hood hold downs and have been selling them. We also stand behind our product 100% because of these feelings and when issues pop up no matter how big or small we try to take care of the customer and make changes moving forward to better our product.

With that said, we are unfortunately finding issues with the current inventory of hood hold downs. This involves you guys that have purchased them.

We do a lot of testing on our prototype parts before we go to production to catch any problems before it's too late. We found issues with rusting on the prototype samples. This caused us to make a few changes to correct this issue, after these changes the hood hold downs passed our salt spray testing and we actually still have a set on my parents jeep that's somewhere in florida right now rust free. At that point we went to production on them.

Well, it looks like the production parts are having issues with rust even with these changes. Because of this we are stopping all sales of our hood hold downs until we get a new product in. The lower bolt on our prototype pieces is stainless steel and does not rust. Unfortunately we think the material used for this bolt got switched out on us for the production run and it's not stainless. Also, the nickel plating on the sleeves isn't holding up as it was shown to in salt spray testing. We are going to switch this over to stainless as well. Currently the sleeves are the only pieces that are not supposed to be stainless. Well, we're making changes to ensure 100% of the parts are stainless.

So... What's this mean for customers that already have purchased? We will be doing one of two things... We will either refund your purchase or we will swap out your parts. Either way it's handled we will send call tags to have your old parts returned on our dime. Essentially we will be swapping out virtually everything except for the turnbuckle and rod ends itself.

We'd rather be proactive and tackle this before all the negative talking starts! This is an issue with our parts and we will own up to it and do what we can to the best of our means to make things right. We had our first known issue pop up middle of last week and started investigating what was happening right away. We had a 2nd incident this morning so at this point we're putting everything on hold and getting it corrected.

If you already currently have these, keep an eye out for how we are going to deal with making things right. We stand behind our products 100% and if we made a mistake we'll own up to it and make sure you guys get taken care of.

We're working out the details of how we're going to handle this today. We will have a timeline for when replacement parts will be ready to send out for current customers hopefully tomorrow. I will post info as it becomes available to me.

If any of you guys are members on other jeep forums and hear of issues, please feel free to point them in the direction of this thread! I would really appreciate it.

We do appologize for this because we realise this is a pain in the butt for you guys but like I've said a couple times, we'll do what we need to in order to get you guys taken care of.

Thanks,
Khris
Drake Off Road
I believe this was early in the year and Quadratec stopped shipping them till the issue was resolved (I had my original order canceled in May) now they have the new inventory that should be all good.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah i think they had to get a different steel or something. drakes were rusting and they pulled them off the shelf until they got it straightened out. so if you just got yours you should be good.
if not they will back their product.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi

Proactive companies are awesome. Why can't more be like that. Makes me like them even more.

Quick Reply: Drake hood hold-downs