Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Do I really need D60s?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here's the thing. The curb weight of an Unlimited Rubicon is 4340lbs with an AT trans (slightly less with a manual). The GVWR is 5465lbs. When you exceed what the vehicle was designed for, you cannot complain that the vehicle isnt doing what you want. I do think the front axle is undersized, and that the rubicon should have a real D44 up front, not the D30/44 hybrid. But for what it was designed for, the rear D44 is fine. If you surpass that design, then its your job to upgrade it.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
Well here's the thing. The curb weight of an Unlimited Rubicon is 4340lbs with an AT trans (slightly less with a manual). The GVWR is 5465lbs. When you exceed what the vehicle was designed for, you cannot complain that the vehicle isnt doing what you want. I do think the front axle is undersized, and that the rubicon should have a real D44 up front, not the D30/44 hybrid. But for what it was designed for, the rear D44 is fine. If you surpass that design, then its your job to upgrade it.
I accept responsibility for what I do and the mods I make; especially when I excede the specs. However the guilty party here is Chrysler/Jeep for not realizing how people would be using it. The sales mix of 2dr/4dr is heavily weighted towards the 4 dr. A Jeep engineer told me they were amazed at this and that it wasn't what they expected. Why do a lot of people buy 4drs? To load them up m- because it has space to haul gear. Look at the Earthroamer JK conversion as the ultimate extention of this. Of course the longer wheelbase demands more and better skid plating underneath, the factroy bumpers are worthless, and ......... well you know the drill.

I recall a 74 F250 4x4 PU I bought new. It had a Dana 44 under it and there was/is no comparison to the lightweight POS we have under the front of ours.

It wouldn't have been that hard or costly to do it right. The incremantal cost to spec out a 3" 3/8" front tube would have been minimal.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Oh agree, ultimately Chrysler cheaped out. Especially on the front axle. There is nothing heavy duty about the front D44 in a JK. The front D44 in my J10 is leaps and bounds stronger. But ohwell, nothing else chrysler does is high quality on the JK, why should we expect the most important parts to be high quality? :(
Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
Does anybody know if there is anyplace on the web where trussing an axle is discussed? How about straightening bent tubes?
Check out currie and offroad evolution
Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BEACHN JK
Ok so I'm running stock X axles with 37s and wheeled it pretty hard. I've only broke 1 u joint. I'm now going to 40s and know my stock won't hold up long. I have been thinking to do a front D60 and then beefin up the rear 44 just to save a little money. I have been reading that the width of the D60s are different. What are some other problems I could run into going that route? Thanks
The only other problem is the different bolt pattern of the wheels. You can get some Spidertrax for the back though and solve both problems.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 AM
JK Junkie

Ok so I'm running stock X axles with 37s and wheeled it pretty hard. I've only broke 1 u joint. I'm now going to 40s and know my stock won't hold up long. I have been thinking to do a front D60 and then beefin up the rear 44 just to save a little money. I have been reading that the width of the D60s are different. What are some other problems I could run into going that route? Thanks
Way of Life on here went through two sets of rear D44 R&P's on his JK running 40's. It may last you a while, just don't expect it to hold up for a long time. Oh, and he was running custom shafts in back. He already had a Dynatrac D60 up front.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

Why they don't make the D60 with the 5 on 5 pattern?
For the most part its to share parts to keep cost down. 5x5.5 is very common. I still think they should only be offered in 8x6.5 though.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

Why they don't make the D60 with the 5 on 5 pattern?
Most companies have them drilled in the back for a dual bolt pattern, but up front the 5x5.5 is usually needed to have room for the locking hubs. I know that Currie has mentioned that they can build them with a 5x5 bolt pattern, and drive flanges, but you lose the Kingpin of the Dana 60, and all of the strength of the outer 60 and reuse the stock JK parts.

Quick Reply: Do I really need D60s?