Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Different rear tire carrier idea....

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different rear tire carrier idea....

Anyone know if there is a rear tire carrier that carries TWO spares?

The reason i started thinking about it is because i run tires with directional tread, and would love to have one spare for each side.

Ideally, i think a bumper with 2 outward-swinging half-carriers, one spindle at each end of the bumper and latching together in the middle, with an outward facing angle on the tires when closed, would be pretty badass looking. Would also give better visibility directly out the rear.

Anyone up for the challenge? I do not have the tools or know-how to even start a project like this.

-Adam
Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

the problem i can see with that is the tires will be 70"wide if you were to do that.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I can't think of someone that makes exactly what you're looking for, but I have seen some carriers that go within the back compartment of your JK. So, you would be able to carry one on your bumper carrier, and the other in the rear carrier inside your Jeep.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

i dont like that idea...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
i dont like that idea...
You don't have to like it. It was for the OP.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

(Ammo Box Not Included)

i jacked the pics from someone in the freebie section.. this would give you one tire on the outside and one inside.

i've seen the dual tire carrier in an autocad drawing but i dont remember where on the forum it was. the thread was about a guy who was gonna go all around america and down to the tip of S. america (argentina/brazil). very vague but maybe someone will read this and remember the thread.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isolated1523
Anyone know if there is a rear tire carrier that carries TWO spares?

The reason i started thinking about it is because i run tires with directional tread, and would love to have one spare for each side.

Ideally, i think a bumper with 2 outward-swinging half-carriers, one spindle at each end of the bumper and latching together in the middle, with an outward facing angle on the tires when closed, would be pretty badass looking. Would also give better visibility directly out the rear.

Anyone up for the challenge? I do not have the tools or know-how to even start a project like this.

-Adam
I can understand why you'd want to do that, but I have to ask... in a situation where you need a spare tire, do you anticipate being in situations during the time between installing the spare and making it to a tire shop that would necessitate not running the tread backwards temporarily?

Realistically, all you need to do is finish your journey (be it on the trail or on the road) and get to a tires shop where they could either A) fix/replace your flat, or B) dismount and remount your spare on the wheel in the correct direction.

Just curious is all... I'd consider taking a stab at designing something, but I just want to be sure you're thinking it all the way through..
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TimberwolfFXDL
I can understand why you'd want to do that, but I have to ask... in a situation where you need a spare tire, do you anticipate being in situations during the time between installing the spare and making it to a tire shop that would necessitate not running the tread backwards temporarily?

Realistically, all you need to do is finish your journey (be it on the trail or on the road) and get to a tires shop where they could either A) fix/replace your flat, or B) dismount and remount your spare on the wheel in the correct direction.

Just curious is all... I'd consider taking a stab at designing something, but I just want to be sure you're thinking it all the way through..
Honestly, i dont anticipate being in a situation where i would absolutely need the tire to be for the correct side. Hence why it doesn't bother me to run one spare now. What brought up the idea more than anything was that i failed to sequence in my current spare into my tire rotation, so it's still brand new. When i buy 4 new tires, i could simply buy 5 again (and extra rim) and have a spare for each side. Not to mention i'm a pretty big fan of the "looks unique" factor!

As far as it being 70" wide, that would be true if the tires were flat against the back side by side. I was thinking of something with more angle, where the tires would be farther from the tailgate in the middle and closer at the edges. This would also leave room for some kind of jerry can/box/etc behind them. Nothing sticking out too far, but enough to cut down the width slightly.

The tire-in-the-back idea doesn't work for me, as i have my backseat in and out depending on the situation and its a 2-door to begin with.

The 2 problems that pop into mind off the bat are weight (could be corrected with some kind of spacer/spring compensation) and taillight location...need to look and see if they would be covered up.

Either way i enjoyed readin the replies!!

-Adam
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

If it were me I would buy a roof rack. You could fit a spare plus extra cargo.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by D0ppleganger
What a GOOD DOG!

Quick Reply: Different rear tire carrier idea....