Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

diesel engine ??

Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well after a lot of reading, research and calling around for advice and trying to find a shop that would help with the work it looks like i will be waiting with the masses till the diesel comes our way !
i was hopping for a quick and semi painless swap but after really looking into it i dont think i have the time or money to spend trying to do this.
so for now i
Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by POTO
CRD logo on the back door and that got me to thinking. Found out they're no longer made by Dodge and are now made by Freightliner. They have a BlueTEC SCR Diesel engine with AdBlue. It's a 3.0L V6, with 188 hp and 325 ft.-lbs. torque from 1,400-2,400 rpm. I know your giving up ponies but your increasing torque, plus you get the MGP's. Got me to thinking if this is a viable option, especially if they come out with a tuner for it.
BTW with the thoughts of Jeep mods in the head, I ended up having a pleasant drive into work.
so what exactly is adblue? And for diesels... Torque is mostly what matters, hp not so much... 325 is doing better than the 4 bt (stock) and about half of what the new diesels are supposed to put out. I wonder how difficult it would be to get a tranny and transfer case for it. As long as it's not bigger than the hemi (almost impossible) it should be a feasible swap...?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

It would probably cost a more than few thousand dollors to this swap and make everthing function properly and with the price of diesel being more that gas, i don't really see you saving any money at the pump.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Of course, you're dealing with a nightmare getting it to pass emissions. If you don't have to deal with Big Brother, though, you can take all of that HP robbing garbage off in the swap and retune it. Win-win (except for the dirty tree-hugging hippies).
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D0ppleganger
so what exactly is adblue? And for diesels... Torque is mostly what matters, hp not so much... 325 is doing better than the 4 bt (stock) and about half of what the new diesels are supposed to put out. I wonder how difficult it would be to get a tranny and transfer case for it. As long as it's not bigger than the hemi (almost impossible) it should be a feasible swap...?
I'm guessing that the Adblue is what makes it admissions compliant. After all, the Sprinter is nothing more the an over-sized minivan.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I recall the Sprinter is and had always been made by Mercedes. When they first started showing up was when Freightliner aquired their large truck division or some type of strange contract was made up to allow them be sold with Freightliner badging (which makes since, because there hasn't been a Mercedes over-the-road truck dealer in the us for many years).
During the time Mercedes had the reins of Chrysler they rebadged the Sprinter and put the Ram name on them.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

OK, I'm still new here and a little nervous about sharing due to vast knowledge that I have seen on this forum, but diesel is a topic near and dear to me so here goes.

A friend swapped a cummins 3.3 into '97. the 3.3 is a little smaller, but quieter than the 4BT and can be purchased in a common rail version (so it can be computer tuned). He has seen some pretty good MPG numbers (over 30?) - even with 37" tires. power was not a problem, either - absolutely NO winching in Moab, INCLUDING prichet (but he is also an excellent driver)

Please note in states like California where emissions are a problem this is not an option. However, in Ohio its still viable. Even more viable if you run Bio, like I do. I don't want to share details, but it bolts up to a manual transmission from the 6cyl AMC motor (2006 and prior).

Anyways, I purchased a 2008 4DR X this week and will be swapping in a 3.3 in the future. (Hopefully my winter project!) When I do, I will definitely share.

My biggest concern is figuring out the electronics - yuck!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smopho
It is not particulates that is the main problem here, it is NOx. The way you address that is threefold; you alter fueling and timing to lower peak cylinder pressures and temperatures at the expense of lost power. You aggressively recirculate exhaust gases, and you after-treat the exhaust with Urea compounds. To keep the engines performance levels, you are then forced to bump up displacement and that with the altered timing results in a motor with fuel economy only marginally better than a gas engine. This is what is killing the performance of diesel pickup trucks along with the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel required being priced higher in most states than gas. The particulate filters are also a contributing factor to lessening the diesels previous performance and economy benefits. The purge cycles needed to clean the filters cost 3-4 mpgs.
I've had the last 3 generations of dodge diesels and have never heard or seen of a more accurate and correct reply weather it be internet or in person. All I can say is this guy is spot on and I agree all the way!!! BTW the DPF emissions system is a P.O.S and constantly clogs unless you drive mostly at high speeds. Dealer told me to drive it like I stole it, then shut it off. So far the Urea system keeps you from going to dealer every month but I can tell there's a loss of power and fuel economy, and extra urea costs.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

i piss urea. and they manage to make it 'catch' harmful emissions. o the irony.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D0ppleganger
i piss urea. and they manage to make it 'catch' harmful emissions. o the irony.
Man you need to not only brag but charge for your services!!!

Quick Reply: diesel engine ??