Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

diesel engine ??

Old 03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel engine ??

i don't know if this should be in here but here it goes!

well all know that diesel engines get so much more per tank then are gas guzzling jks and fuel is almost on everyone's mind! just adding a tank of gas adds value to it ! so i know this could be a newb question and i don't know a lot about mechanics but how much work if possible would it be to switch to a diesel engine ?

i know that guys do the v8 swap but what about diesel ?
what would be the best engine to go with?
how would one go about to do this ?
is this legal? ( in Canada or the US)
what type of emissions would it have to pass

please tell me if i am right out to lunch !

thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should follow this thread with MBRP Diesel truck build, this may hold a few answers to your questions.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...P+diesel+build
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

4bt would be the most reliable and easiest to acquire/install.
4btswaps dot com is a great resource.

I guess you could even get the Euro model diesel... somehow?

if you live in a major city, then they will be more of a PITA about emissions that rural towns/communities

if you do it be sure to post pics because i've been wanting to do a diesel swap.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the help i think that the emissions would be a problem but would have to look into it more .. maybe i will just have to hold out like everyone else until they bring the diesel over to canada and the US . I also wonder how many hoops i would have to jump through to bring one over ??? and would it really be worth it

MORE RESEARCH .... TO GOOGLE !
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the motor referenced above the liberty diesel? I know you can get that one pretty cheap from a wrecker.

Couldn't you just grab all the electronics, tranny and t-case (I hope it's part time), fab some mounts and bolt it in? I know there are fuel system changes and electrical system changes, but most of the motor runs the same components (A/C. PS. etc.).

Sorry - I didn't open the links becuase I'm at work.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, we have the diesel option here (in Autralia) for the Wrangler & it's a very popular choice, particularly for the heavier Unlimited due to the 2.8L CRD motor's big torque output. Apparantly the motor didn't pass California's strick emmissions standards so the whole of North America had to miss out. Thing is, in line with the new strict Euro standards coming in they simply added a bigger particulate filter to the exhaust system so it will comply with the new regulations, so I'm sure any issue with trying to get a diesel to comply with US emmisions standards could be solved this way?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
Yeah, we have the diesel option here (in Autralia) for the Wrangler & it's a very popular choice, particularly for the heavier Unlimited due to the 2.8L CRD motor's big torque output. Apparantly the motor didn't pass California's strick emmissions standards so the whole of North America had to miss out. Thing is, in line with the new strict Euro standards coming in they simply added a bigger particulate filter to the exhaust system so it will comply with the new regulations, so I'm sure any issue with trying to get a diesel to comply with US emmisions standards could be solved this way?
It is not particulates that is the main problem here, it is NOx. The way you address that is threefold; you alter fueling and timing to lower peak cylinder pressures and temperatures at the expense of lost power. You aggressively recirculate exhaust gases, and you after-treat the exhaust with Urea compounds. To keep the engines performance levels, you are then forced to bump up displacement and that with the altered timing results in a motor with fuel economy only marginally better than a gas engine. This is what is killing the performance of diesel pickup trucks along with the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel required being priced higher in most states than gas. The particulate filters are also a contributing factor to lessening the diesels previous performance and economy benefits. The purge cycles needed to clean the filters cost 3-4 mpgs.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Nice info...
Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are right about the new engines. My Dad's 01 ford had close to the same power and way better fuel economy than his new 09 6.4 does. It will only get 13 and cleans the exhaust filter every 300 miles. If you live in the right state I think the 4bt cummins would be great.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, I was driving to work the other day and was stuck behind a Sprinter van, cursing most of the way until I saw the CRD logo on the back door and that got me to thinking. Found out they're no longer made by Dodge and are now made by Freightliner. They have a BlueTEC SCR Diesel engine with AdBlue. It's a 3.0L V6, with 188 hp and 325 ft.-lbs. torque from 1,400-2,400 rpm. I know your giving up ponies but your increasing torque, plus you get the MGP's. Got me to thinking if this is a viable option, especially if they come out with a tuner for it.
BTW with the thoughts of Jeep mods in the head, I ended up having a pleasant drive into work.

Quick Reply: diesel engine ??