Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

diesel??

Old 10-03-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel??

has any 1 seen any diesel motor swaps for the jk other then the 2.8 motor?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Default yea

the OD jeep for the 2006 ultamate adventure has a 5.1 cummings
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willypapooh
the od jeep for the 2006 ultamate adventure has a 5.1 cummings
its cummins first of all and i'm not aware of any 5.1 were you thinking 5.9 that is the straight six thats been around for ages. They just recently moved it up to 6.7
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I've seen the 3.0l v6 installed in one
Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I remember correctly that cummins was a jeep body dropped onto a power wagon set up and bolted down I think I was reading about it the other day.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, here it is:

http://www.aev-conversions.com/news/...mins-turbo-jk/

Doubt it will ever be a "conversion" kit though.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I was talking about motor swaps with a buddy the other day and we have a different opinion about this. While more power would be great on the road, we seem to notice that the Hemi rigs do not do as well on the extreme trails. Wouldn't Cummins diesel add a bunch of weight? I wonder what the 3 liter diesel weighs. I'd think that would be a great trail motor, as long as it's not very heavy.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
I was talking about motor swaps with a buddy the other day and we have a different opinion about this. While more power would be great on the road, we seem to notice that the Hemi rigs do not do as well on the extreme trails. Wouldn't Cummins diesel add a bunch of weight? I wonder what the 3 liter diesel weighs. I'd think that would be a great trail motor, as long as it's not very heavy.
Its a HEAVY engine. I'm actually surprised that it fit in the engine bay. They must have done extensive modifications.

Now the 3.0l Mercedes diesel, I'd be a lot more interested in. That's a great engine. Back when we had a Jeep store, I really started to like the 3.0l CRD WKs.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nukeman
Yup, here it is:

http://www.aev-conversions.com/news/...mins-turbo-jk/

Doubt it will ever be a "conversion" kit though.
The engine is in fact a 6BT. I could see how you could be confused given the last two cylinders being hidden under the firewall. It was a tight fit, but its all there.

The project started with a JK frame, but it was determined that it was going to be easier to use the dodge frame…sort of. The frame ended up being heavily modified, in fact every bracket and cross-member was cut off and replaced except for the front spring towers. There was about a four foot section cut out of the frame.

I had my doubts about how well it would perform. After seeing it work on UA, I can tell you all that it works really well and came out with a near 50/50 weight distribution.
Figures...

Surprised to read about the weight distribution, that's the same as stock. I guess because its so far back in the engine bay.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

yeah, a buddy of mine drove a Cherokee or Commander or something that had the 3.0 CRD and he said it was quick. Quiet too.

Originally Posted by Atl JK
Its a HEAVY engine. I'm actually surprised that it fit in the engine bay. They must have done extensive modifications.

Now the 3.0l Mercedes diesel, I'd be a lot more interested in. That's a great engine. Back when we had a Jeep store, I really started to like the 3.0l CRD WKs.

Quick Reply: diesel??