Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Did my "fender chop" today

Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did my "fender chop" today

So I did my fender chop today while I was at the shop (work) and I'm pretty happy with the results. I cut the front and rear just at the point where it starts to go down, so I figure that gave me another 1.5" of travel at least.
The one thing I have to work on fixing is the fluttering from the inner fender liner plastic panel on the highway. It's not too bad, just annoying. Other than that, my only regret is waiting so long to do it.
Here's a couple cell phone pics for now.

Let me know what you think, and it's a fairly easy but time consuming process, so let me know if you need some pointers if you're thinking of doing this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-935543028.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	276903   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-642008167.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	276904  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jk-tony
So I did my fender chop today while I was at the shop (work) and I'm pretty happy with the results. I cut the front and rear just at the point where it starts to go down, so I figure that gave me another 1.5" of travel at least.
The one thing I have to work on fixing is the fluttering from the inner fender liner plastic panel on the highway. It's not too bad, just annoying. Other than that, my only regret is waiting so long to do it.
Here's a couple cell phone pics for now.

Let me know what you think, and it's a fairly easy but time consuming process, so let me know if you need some pointers if you're thinking of doing this.
Looks good. What did you do with the lights? I drilled a hole in the body and used a zip tie to help hold the inner liner in place. My second set are cut and ready to go on. Gonna keep a little of the downward edge this time. Did you use the molding on the edges? I did on my first set but will be skipping it this time. That stuff is just a magnet for mud. This set I went around the edge with a heat gun smoothing it out.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you just the outer lip off of them?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good! I did my fender chop today as well...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3413811310.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	276929   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3827090831.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	276930  
Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks Great
Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bgall
Looks good. What did you do with the lights? I drilled a hole in the body and used a zip tie to help hold the inner liner in place. My second set are cut and ready to go on. Gonna keep a little of the downward edge this time. Did you use the molding on the edges? I did on my first set but will be skipping it this time. That stuff is just a magnet for mud. This set I went around the edge with a heat gun smoothing it out.
i just took the lights and the harness out for now. they unplug about 12 inches into the harness behind the fender liner. im thinking of using that harness wired to a switch for rock lights or something in the future. i just wanna do something different and it hasnt come to me yet. as for the edge guard stuff, i didnt use any. just seems like a waste to put it on only to rip it off on the trail later.
Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Looks good! I did my fender chop today as well...

looks awesome man, i really dont like the pocket look and $600 is rediculous for a new set, so chop it was!

Originally Posted by OutlawJK
Looks Great
thanks man!

and to jkblu - yes, just the part that hangs down. i used the "edge" as a guide and some thin blue tape.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool. I was wondering what it would look like if i just cut the outer lip off. Im suppose to be picking up a set of already chopped flares while in in houston for the weekend but i havent heard back from rustyshackleford yet.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

nice job.im waiting for warmer weather so i can do mine.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Looks Great!!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

What tools did you use to cut it

Quick Reply: Did my "fender chop" today