Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Daystar Hood Latch Install

Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, you werent kidding about those being tight. i dont feel too good about it at all. luckily i blue taped up the whole area before doing this job. it took all my strength to latch them. i have no doubt it would cure flutter, but i dont like how tight it is. hopefully it will loosen up.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Nice. I'm more interested in the 5D Mark II and 50mm f/1.2 that you used for the pics though. lol.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by plac
dude, you werent kidding about those being tight. i dont feel too good about it at all. luckily i blue taped up the whole area before doing this job. it took all my strength to latch them. i have no doubt it would cure flutter, but i dont like how tight it is. hopefully it will loosen up.
Everyone that has installed them say they are tight at first and loosen up with time.....
Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
Everyone that has installed them say they are tight at first and loosen up with time.....
they are so tight i am afraid they might snap, or my latches might break.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4fit?
Nice. I'm more interested in the 5D Mark II and 50mm f/1.2 that you used for the pics though. lol.
Love my Canon Mark II camera but my 50mm f/1.2 lens is my baby. I'm a prime lens junkie...

As tight as they fit I don't see how it couldn't cure the fludder/flutter....whichever. I wasn't having problems but my JK goes in the shop for a leveling kit tomorrow. Just being proactive.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

this is a great idea i didnt know about them
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default yo

Originally Posted by plac
THANKS dood.. ive had mine sitting on my tool box for weeks just waiting for this..

im afraid ill scratch up my 5 day old paint... plus i only have 1 vice grips.

i think blue painters tape will be a good way to protect the paint in case i slip.

Did this today....I went the one vice grip route.
Also laid down some painters tape around the mount and a towel
I secured the vice grip on just as the original poster shows, and I "lifted" like if you were opening a can of paint, basically i pushed the VG in a downward motion and it snapped in one sec. Real easy. Then i took the top screw/bolt off with the latch in my hand.
Like someone else said, even though the directions say to remove the bottom latch mount, you do not need to.

-----
edit_ didn't see page 3 B4 i replied...i see now you already did the install...well maybe the info will help someone else out.

Last edited by dred99; 06-09-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Just ordered mine from Northridge, my hood flutters if I fart! Damn hood latches...I'll show them as soon as these come in!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dred99
...even though the directions say to remove the bottom latch mount, you do not need to.
Wish I'd seen this write up when I did mine!! Has anyone else tried taking off the bottom latch? What a pain!!!

I ended up breaking mine while mounted as well - a lot easier than following the directions!

Great write-up!!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up!
When I did mine I took them off the jeep which made the breaking of the existing plastic (POS) pins really difficult...definitely looks like you found the better way to go.

Quick Reply: Daystar Hood Latch Install