Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Darnell Creek, NC

Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default that bites

interesting how dirt, aka "sediment", is bad for the streams - but the environmentalists don't seem to care or attack inert contaminents and raw sewage that is getting piped in and run off into streams every day!

Originally Posted by WNCJEEP
Tellico had the worst trails close two years ago, then a moratorium, then it finally closed for the indefinite future last year.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/press/t...ws_release.pdf
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
interesting how dirt, aka "sediment", is bad for the streams - but the environmentalists don't seem to care or attack inert contaminents and raw sewage that is getting piped in and run off into streams every day!
I actually think the environmental concerns were well founded. I also blame the abuses of primarily the ATV and Motorcycle users who "blazed their own trails" around restricted areas making any meaningful conservation efforts pointless. There were also a lot of abuses by full size vehicles as well, it was sad, and not much that us respectable "Tread Lightly" jeepers could do.

I hope they reopen it after it "heals" with more permanent restrictions and controls to prevent future problems, but that may be years away. The closure had to be devastating to the economy in Murphy, there were a number of businesses, camps, cabins, and other ventures that were focused on and primarily dependent upon the offroad tourism.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Default Atv

don't take me wrong - wasnt' saying there was no impact - but the impact is peanuts when you compare too the inert damages (pesticides, fertilizers, sewage, oil, etc.) that are taking place every day and nothing is done to curb the impact.

An ATV hit a horse in OBX. evidently a hit and run and left the horse to die, but the horse dragged itself back to the herd before dying.

they should require a license, permit and insurance for ATV's (like jeeps) to regulate and try to prevent abuses that will ruin goodtimes for responsible folks. Kills me when a few bad apples make places like Tellico close. Just hope URE isn't next!

I actually think the environmental concerns were well founded. I also blame the abuses of primarily the ATV and Motorcycle users who "blazed their own trails" around restricted areas making any meaningful conservation efforts pointless. There were also a lot of abuses by full size vehicles as well, it was sad, and not much that us respectable "Tread Lightly" jeepers could do.

I hope they reopen it after it "heals" with more permanent restrictions and controls to prevent future problems, but that may be years away. The closure had to be devastating to the economy in Murphy, there were a number of businesses, camps, cabins, and other ventures that were focused on and primarily dependent upon the offroad tourism.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Default Atv

don't take me wrong - wasnt' saying there was no impact - but the impact is peanuts when you compare too the inert damages (pesticides, fertilizers, sewage, oil, etc.) that are taking place every day and nothing is done to curb the impact.

An ATV hit a horse in OBX. evidently a hit and run and left the horse to die, but the horse dragged itself back to the herd before dying.

they should require a license, permit and insurance for ATV's (like jeeps) to regulate and try to prevent abuses that will ruin goodtimes for responsible folks. Kills me when a few bad apples make places like Tellico close. Just hope URE isn't next!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Can anyone give me a specific address or directions on how to get to darnell creek? Thinking about making a day trip and hitting that one and richlands road in blowing rock.

Quick Reply: Darnell Creek, NC