Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Dana 60 swap

Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 60 swap

Forgive me if this question has been asked before and if it is a stupid set of questions but here we go. I am looking at a possible axle swap for my rig and have little to no idea where to start. Unfortunately I am not in a spot to buy a pro-rock 44 or 60 so I am considering building one a little at a time as money provides.

Question #1) I know that you can have a 30 in front and a 44 in rear or a 44 up front and a 60 in rear, but can I run a 60 up front and a 44 in rear?

Question #2) Is there anything I should be looking out for in buying a dana 60 axle to rebuild?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michiguy
Forgive me if this question has been asked before and if it is a stupid set of questions but here we go. I am looking at a possible axle swap for my rig and have little to no idea where to start. Unfortunately I am not in a spot to buy a pro-rock 44 or 60 so I am considering building one a little at a time as money provides.

Question #1) I know that you can have a 30 in front and a 44 in rear or a 44 up front and a 60 in rear, but can I run a 60 up front and a 44 in rear?

Question #2) Is there anything I should be looking out for in buying a dana 60 axle to rebuild?

Thanks
There are several guys running 60 front 44 rear. I put a superduty front dana 60 in mine and it worked out well. The ford dana 60 front from 77.5 -79 F350 or F250 snow fighter will have more axle tube on the driver side to work with and will be kingpin with spindles. The superduty axle that comes in 99 and up fords use unit bearings and balljoints. Just depends on what you want. You can probably find a superduty 60 for cheaper versus the kingpin 60. Here is a picture of my rig.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

RedX......if you don't mind my asking, did you get a tone ring to work or are you going with-out TPMS and ESP/BAS. if so, how did you do a go-around. Also is that an electric or manual locking hub. thanks Mike
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Michiguy

Thanks
I am running a 79 ford 60 kingpin in the front and the stock 44 in the rear right now with now problems.
and it was alot cheaper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	211067   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	211068  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fly-Attack
RedX......if you don't mind my asking, did you get a tone ring to work or are you going with-out TPMS and ESP/BAS. if so, how did you do a go-around. Also is that an electric or manual locking hub. thanks Mike
They are mile marker manual hubs. I ordered the tone rings from dynatrac, so I should have everything working in the next couple weeks. It drives and shifts fine without the tone rings, you just don't have a speedo and the lights are on.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redx08
They are mile marker manual hubs. I ordered the tone rings from dynatrac, so I should have everything working in the next couple weeks. It drives and shifts fine without the tone rings, you just don't have a speedo and the lights are on.
Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: Dana 60 swap