Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Dana 60 builds

Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuLcRuM
That doesn't make any sense.

If that were true then when you Re-Gear the speedo would not change since it would always detect axle speed. Changing of Tire diameter would still affect it though.

I'm pretty sure people on here who have re-geared also had to reprogram the ECU to get the speedo accurate again.

Also lookup the guy's who have installed an Atlas, I'm pretty sure they were having speedo issues since it's in the TC.
OK... I did a little bit of searching in the parts catalog online and found that there are parts called speed sensors on each of the wheels, but there is also another part named

Vehicle speed sensor, wrangler
2007 $4.50 $3.46

that is in the "powertrain control" section. Unfortunately, there is not an illustration for that part.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

i wonder if those speed sensors only detect if vehicle is turning when the steering wheel is straight or turning. i have driven the jeep with the steering wheel crooked and the jeep gets mad about that.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
OK... I did a little bit of searching in the parts catalog online and found that there are parts called speed sensors on each of the wheels, but there is also another part named

Vehicle speed sensor, wrangler
2007 $4.50 $3.46

that is in the "powertrain control" section. Unfortunately, there is not an illustration for that part.
I'm sure what they are calling "Speed Sensors" are the pickups for the ABS/ESP/BLD system not actual speedometer pickups.

i wonder if those speed sensors only detect if vehicle is turning when the steering wheel is straight or turning. i have driven the jeep with the steering wheel crooked and the jeep gets mad about that.
That is from the steering wheel sensor for the ESP/airbag you are pissing off by not having the wheel strait, again, nothing to do with the speedometer.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
Has anyone yet to take a junkyard D60 and build it for the JK or will I be among the first to do so????????
i am looking to pick one up... my process will be very slow as i do not have the funds to get everything at once.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

Just my two cents but what if you unplug all the wheel sensors and take it for a boot around see if the speedo will work. The jeep will prob get pissed to but you will learn alot.
Whos willing to try?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the esp is not disabled and the wheel sensor's are not plugged in the jeep will not move! The sensor's have to be connected!!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok well disregard all my previous posts.

I read on another forum that there is in fact NO SPEEDO sensor in the TC. They ARE located in the wheels.

This is directly from a person who installed an Atlas II, the problem when installing an Atlas is the 4wd sensor and not the Speedo like I thought.
The 4wd sensor is important because it tells the ESP system how to behave, there was a work around for that issue also though.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Something still doesn't quite add up with the sensors on the wheels, though... If they were the only measuring sensors, you could swap your gears and the speedometer would stay accurate. But it doesn't... at least, I don't think it does. If it didn't, why would you need to adjust the gear ratio with a programmer?

There almost has to be something else upstream, doesn't there?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

the wheel sensors are only for the ABS. They work with the Tone rings. If you lose the tone rings and the wheel sensors you will not have ABS/ESP. Your jeep will drive normally without these functions. All the information is on this forum.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
the wheel sensors are only for the ABS. They work with the Tone rings. If you lose the tone rings and the wheel sensors you will not have ABS/ESP. Your jeep will drive normally without these functions. All the information is on this forum.
are you sure about this, i would like to keep my stock engine instead of going with a small block.

Quick Reply: Dana 60 builds