Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

CV-Joint axle shafts installed + HD Tie Rod + Outer Tube Seals

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CV-Joint axle shafts installed + HD Tie Rod + Outer Tube Seals

After breaking a second set of U-joints on my front axle, I looked for an alternative to the U-joint assembly; thus, ultimately deciding on installing a Birfield-type CV-joint axle shaft from RCV Performance. Just hours before breaking the U-joint assembly (actually the “ears” on the shafts), I had installed a new ORO TRU-Turn Tie Rod Upgrade on my Jeep JK Wrangler. This Tie Rod kit includes a Straight Tie Rod from wheel to wheel; this is accomplished by utilizing a relocation bracket on the steering knuckles similar to the design proven on the ORO U-Turn kit for earlier Jeep Wranglers. I had concerns about the relocation brackets used in the ORO TRU-Turn kit because the clearances on the stock axle shafts was extremely close, I thought I might have a problem with my new upgraded axle shafts. As it turns out, ORO makes a modified bracket for upgraded axle shafts, thus, I needed to get my hands on a set before I started my install. Kevin’s Off Road (KOR) and ORO worked with me (and my very short timetable) and sent me a set of new brackets overnight (with the provision that I return the previous un-modified set.) I also discussed this “clearance” issue with the guys at RCV Performance, who were not sure that their CV-joint axle shafts had ever been installed in conjunction with the ORO TRU-Turn Tie Rod Upgrade kit. RCV Performance was interested in finding out the answer if these two products work together, so they offered to return the axle shafts at no cost to me if the install was not possible.

After discussing my upcoming plans with my friend Shiloh, sales representative at Off Road Warehouse, he asked what I was going to do about outer axle tube seals. At first I thought, “I’ll just use the stock plastic disks;” but, Shiloh, ever the salesman, showed me the Superior Axle & Gear EVOLUTION SERIES Front Axle Tube Seals; which looked very cool, and functioned much better than the flimsy stock plastic disks. But, again, my concern was clearances; I had no idea how far back the CV-joint axle shaft needed to sit back versus the amount of space the Superior Axle & Gear EVOLUTION SERIES Front Axle Tube Seals would come forward. Shiloh immediately called Superior Axle & Gear and asked if the EVOLUTION SERIES Front Axle Tube Seals had ever been installed with RCV Performance CV-joint axle shafts. Well, the answer, as far as they knew, was “no.” So, Superior Axle & Gear was willing to send out a set of their EVOLUTION SERIES Front Axle Tube Seals to me so that I could test whether or not they would, indeed, fit.

Thus, as far as I know (which probably isn’t much) I was putting together a unique front-end set-up that had not yet been attempted. So, without too much further ado, my install -->

First though, many thanks need to go out to those that help make this project possible:
Help with gathering parts & technical questions:
Shiloh @ Off Road Warehouse
Joel @ Superior Axle & Gear
Sean @ RCV Performance (CV-joint axle shafts)
Bryant @ Kevin’s Off Road
Steve & Shane @ Off Road Only

Of course, special thanks to those who came over and helped with the install:
Jumpnt (Rob)
Rdneckjk (Mitch)
The “Yankee” (Thomas)
1st_Rubicon (Grant)

And, a very special additional thanks to Rob (Jumpnt) for bringing over the delicious teriyaki steak and cooking it up after a long day of installing Jeep JK Wrangler parts.

Broken U-joint on the driver’s side:

Broken axle shaft (“ears”) after it has been pulled from the Jeep JK Wrangler:

Jeep JK Wrangler up on jack-stands for the install:

Empty axle tube:

Draining the differential because the inner axle tube seal was suspected to be bad and/or torn:

Diff cover removed:

Jeep JK Wrangler sans diff cover and the ORO H.D. Tie Rod

Test fitting the ORO TRU-Turn Tie Rod Upgrade kit brackets:

Photo of my little helper:

Superior Axle & Gear EVOLUTION SERIES Front Axle Tube Seal:

Test fitting the Superior Axle & Gear EVOLUTION SERIES Front Axle Tube Seals:

RCV Performance CV-joint axle shafts:

Test fit RCV Performance CV-joint axle shafts (Front):

Test fit Test fit RCV Performance CV-joint axle shafts (whole knuckle):

Test fit RCV Performance CV-joint axle shafts (rear):

Test fit RCV Performance CV-joint axle shafts, Superior Axle & Gear EVOLUTION SERIES Front Axle Tube Seal, & the ORO TRU-Turn Tie Rod Upgrade kit bracket:

RCV Performance CV-joint axle shaft without the Superior Axle & Gear EVOLUTION SERIES Front Axle Tube Seal:

The ORO TRU-Turn Tie Rod Upgrade kit bracket just barely clipped the orange “plunger” (dust cover for the CV-joint) of the RCV Performance CV-joint axle shaft. RCV Performance does know that the clearances on their axle shafts is tight, even with the stock Tie Rod assembly. The RCV Performance axles come with 6 replacement wheel bearing bolts; the wide flanges on the stock bolts is machined down so that there is extra room.

ORO TRU-Turn Tie Rod Upgrade kit bracket ground down so not to hit the orange “plunger” (dust cover for the CV-joint):

Carrier removed from the diff:

New inner axle tube seal versus the old seal:

We decided to remove the outer steering knuckle to make it easier to get the axle shaft, the orange “plunger,” the Outer Tube Seal, and the plastic “star” spacers all on and slid into the axle tube:

Sliding the axle shaft assembly in:

Re-installing the steering knuckle:

Re-installing the ABS/EPS sensor:

RCV Performance CV-joint axle shaft installed:

Driver’s side (close-up):

View from the rear:

Top view from the back:

After some 60 miles of driving on this install:

In the end, everything went to together and has been working fine, so far. The only real modification I needed to do was grind down the ORO TRU-Turn Tie Rod brackets on the edge. With these new brackets in conjunction with the new RCV Performance provided wheel-bearing bolts, everything is properly set to its correct torque value.
I am looking forward to using my new front-end set-up for many years to come.

Last edited by 4x4LOYR; 07-20-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up! Thanks for sharing...!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OlegFl
awesome and heavy install! .... let me ask...to install the shaft... can it be done without going into the diff... basically.... is the install as easy as any other shaft?
Yes, it is very easy. And Yes, it can be done withoout opening up the Diff (I chose to do so to replace the inner tube seal -- it was leaking). THe axle shafts can be installed without removing the outer steering knuckle also, we just decided to take them off because it was easier to fit all the things I was installing onto the shaft and slide it in as one unit. Normally, the orange "plunger" would go into the space directly in front of the axle tube, and then the axle shaft is pushed into the "plunger" and the tube.

Ty...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Nice write up! Thanks for sharing...!
Thanks Frank. This weekend we're gonna try out the new axle shafts for the first time. We're very glad you and the family are going to be able to join us.

Ty...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up and pics. I am totally kicking myself for not calling when I got back in town. If only I had known you were going so late, I would have been there to err... uhh... reenforce, in a heart beat. Looking forward to seeing you guys Friday (hopefully I'll have my Jeep back)
Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

nice write up and thorough photo documentation!

let us know how you like the setup after logging some miles!
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SoCal_JK_2dr
Thanks Frank. This weekend we're gonna try out the new axle shafts for the first time. We're very glad you and the family are going to be able to join us.
Ty...
Looking forward to the Suds & Grubs, Big Bear caravan and Big Bear trip & BBQ! It's going to be an awesome weekend!

Originally Posted by gryph0n
Awesome write up and pics. I am totally kicking myself for not calling when I got back in town. If only I had known you were going so late, I would have been there to err... uhh... reenforce, in a heart beat. Looking forward to seeing you guys Friday (hopefully I'll have my Jeep back)
Hope you get it back in time for Big Bear! Nice run you organized just wish we could have made it...I see Dan (dd2) was at the run, he knows the Lawrence Welk trail so maybe we can talk him into leading us sometime!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

I see Dan (dd2) was at the run, he knows the Lawrence Welk trail so maybe we can talk him into leading us sometime!
He mentioned that where I took everyone was nothing like what he knew of the Lawrence Welk trail. Although they do link up, there are countless trails and offshoots up there. A few weeks ago, when a few of us did it, we came out on an area that was labled lawrence welk on the GPS, but I was also later informed that, it wasn't the true trail head (good thing because that part is a closed gate).
Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by gryph0n
He mentioned that where I took everyone was nothing like what he knew of the Lawrence Welk trail. Although they do link up, there are countless trails and offshoots up there. A few weeks ago, when a few of us did it, we came out on an area that was labled lawrence welk on the GPS, but I was also later informed that, it wasn't the true trail head (good thing because that part is a closed gate).

There's more info on the Justruns club site but I don't have a gps to download the trailhead. Would still love to have someone that's prerun it lead us cuz it looks like a nice Black Diamond trail...at least from some of the pics on their site.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Freak

There's more info on the Justruns club site but I don't have a gps to download the trailhead. Would still love to have someone that's prerun it lead us cuz it looks like a nice Black Diamond trail...at least from some of the pics on their site.
I'll have to look at that. There is a black diamond area or two that I took the group to. It is like a play ground up there. Much fun to be had around the bend from the water tower that WE turned around at after the BBQ.

Quick Reply: CV-Joint axle shafts installed + HD Tie Rod + Outer Tube Seals