Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Cutting fenders for me?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting fenders for me?

I'm in the Cherokee county area near Atlanta. Anyone interested in chopping my fenders, I'm too scared to do it myself
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Bring it to WY, I'll be happy to perform this mod for ya (after you sign some sort of no-fault agreement), haha. I'll be honest, I was quite apprehensive myself before I did it, but then I gathered all my courage and went for it. I left them on (rather than remove them as others have suggested) and I started with the passenger front first, I taped it off to get my guide line and used a dremel tool to cut; going extremely slow and taking my sweet time, it probably took me 1.5 hrs to complete the cut as I had to make multiple passes, had issues with cutting the inner fender structure and the inner fender guards. Afterwards I was really happy with the end product but the time it took and the stress I endured was not cutting it (pun intended). So I decided to move to the rear, taped them off for a guide and then busted out the sawzall, still going slow made my cut. Let me tell you, it took me all of 2 minutes to cut them and I was ready to tackle the front. I traced out a template using cardboard to transfer the same lines from the other side, taped off the front driver side and again all of a couple minutes to cut including a clean line on the inner fender structure. I cannot lie, i am extremely happy with the end product and it dramatically changed the look of my JK (although now my tires look too small). There are pictures of the final product on my profile page.

Advice: Go for it, BUT take your time! I also taped the body and added a piece of cardboard where I trimmed the cuts up close to the grill just to be safe.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it seems intriguing, but it's really not hard to do. Just tape off the flares where you want to cut, cut a pilot line with a dremmel or hot knife (not all the way through, just enough to guide your cut through the plastic - don't have to do it but will insure you make a straight cut) and the finish the job with a jig saw or saws all. Done!

Look at it this way, if you screw up, it's an excuse to buy some aftermarket flares
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Default Nice and slow

Be sure to tape it off exactly like you want it. If you don't mind doing it more than once trim it a little further out than you really want it trimmed. This way you can fine tune it. You can always take away but you can't always put back.
Take it nice and slow.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

does anyone know the part number to the clips that hold the fenders in place? i hit a deer the other night and it took my right rear fender off. i need some clips to put it back on.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha that's a bit of a drive for me . But I'm just not very good with power tools, but I really want this mod.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cwyatt11
Haha that's a bit of a drive for me . But I'm just not very good with power tools, but I really want this mod.
You own a jeep get good with power tools braking shit and fixing it is half the fun of owning a jeep. Start small maybe stubby your front bumper once you see how great it looks it will give you the courage to tackle bigger projects...good luck

Quick Reply: Cutting fenders for me?